Search

Thailand, Vietnam and Siem Reap

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2024, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand, Vietnam and Siem Reap

Solo traveler leaving July 11 returning August 10 from NY
Want to do usual cities, Bangkok, Chiang Mei, Krabi and Ko Samui and Hanoi, Hoi, An, Siem Reap-
Best routing and # of days? Trying to avoid heavy rains and oppressive heat -Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old May 21st, 2024, 08:10 PM

There may be heavy rains in Hanoi (Vietnam) at that time.
Old May 21st, 2024, 08:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Pack an umbrella.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 11:10 PM

"Any advice greatly appreciated. "

Given that you are "Trying to avoid heavy rains and oppressive heat" - choose a different time of year!

Everywhere will be hot and places like Chiang Mai, Hanoi and the Andaman coast will also be very wet. Bangkok will be very uncomfortable. That said, high temps and rain mean lower prices, fewer crowds and greener landscapes.

If you are stuck with July as a travel time then consider other locations like Malaysia, Indonesia and Borneo . I find this site is good for checking weather patterns in Asia https://www.selectiveasia.com/weather/july
Old May 27th, 2024, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much - would that still be the thought if the ticket is RT from Bangkok
Old May 27th, 2024, 10:33 AM

Hi Barbara, if you are referring to my comments I #7 above then yes. The key hubs for SE Asia are Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. All of those have a network of budget airlines making it very easy to reach most parts of Asia, cheaply and quickly, many treat them almost like bus services. I have always tended to use Air Asia when possible (possibly down to laziness1) but there are many other options. I remember one year we flew into Bangkok (albeit for longer than one month) and did separate trips to South Korea, Borneo and Indonesia.

Weather is not the be all, end all but it does make a difference. There is always somewhere where the sun is shining.
Old May 27th, 2024, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone but that is the time he has for travel before life and work set in so....umbrella it is
Old May 27th, 2024, 02:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
You'll be glad for the umbrella. Comes in handy as shade even if it's not raining. If you have a superlight one for travel then that's great, there are a number of them out there. Otherwise you can pick one up upon arrival.

Have a great trip!