October Trip to VT and NH

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2024, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need suggestions on a trip we will be taking the first week of October 2025 to New England for 7 days. We will be flying into Boston and want to have 2 bases. One in VT and one in NH close enough to do day trip to Maine from NH. Since this is prime Fall Season, suggestions for small towns that are not the top town destinations to avoid overcrowding but still driveable for day trips. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Txs
Old May 19th, 2024, 12:10 PM
Forum Moderator

Welcome to he Fodors forums. We removed the Trip Report flag and added New Hampshire and Vermont tags.
Old May 19th, 2024, 09:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Where in Maine do you want to try to "day trip" to from New Hampshire?

I used to live in Brattleboro VT. It's a normal town tucked in the south east corner of VT just across the river from NH. The drive in the fall over to Bennington is spectacular and not too far. But again depends where in Vermont you want to go. It's a beautiful state.

7 days is a little short to hit all 3 states but certainly possible.

Welcome to Fodor's forums! I'm sure others will be along soon with more ideas and suggestions.

Old May 19th, 2024, 11:13 PM

It depends on what you want to do. Concord NH is an hour from Maine but most scenic route is rt 4 to Portsmouth traffic circle. That gives you access to I95 or simply go over the bridge to Kittery Maine. Southern beaches and towns are an easy day trip. You could also head to Portland doing some state routes. Also from Concord it's only an hour without traffic to White Mountains or you could stop off I93 exit 23 to Meredith on Lake Winnipesaukee but time it to avoid congestion in Meredith. My choice would be a nature cruise on Squam Lake if they are still running. See Squam Lakes Science Center for info. It's about 2 hours to eastern side of White Mountains to North Conway area. Again, go early if you want to take the Kancamagus hwy west to I93. And don't do it on a weekend.
There is plenty of beautiful foliage around Concord and you could take country roads to New London area and a drive up auto road Wilmot side of Mt Kearsarge. Some people like to eat and drink at the Flying goose in New London for views.

From Concord I89 gives you good access to VT.or you could head south to take Rt 101 to the Brattleboro area.
I'll let VT experts advise on that state.
Old May 20th, 2024, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the information.
Old May 20th, 2024, 11:26 AM

I suggest getting a New England travel guide from the library and first make a list of priorities to see and do and work from that. You won't be able to do it all.
Old May 20th, 2024, 12:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My suggestion is such a small one but if you find yourself in southern Vermont, Brattleboro to Bennington is only an hour drive. Stop at the Hogback Mountain gift shop for views: https://www.hogbackmountaincountrystore.com/

My other suggestion doesn't fit your original plan but since you are flying into Boston, western Massachusetts is pretty darn great Like Amherst, Northampton, Deefield, the Berkshire mountains. Fun places like these:
https://www.mass.gov/locations/skinner-state-park
https://www.bso.org/tanglewood/

Old May 20th, 2024, 02:11 PM

Ludlow might have more housing than other similar sized towns that are not close to a ski resort.