Search

Vienna - Prague - 8 days total

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2024, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vienna - Prague - 8 days total

Hi Folks - Two questions -

1) With 8 days on the ground - how would you recommend we split our time between the two cities. I am currently thinking 5 days in Vienna + 3 in Prague

2) Are there any can't miss day trips from either city (we don't plan on renting a car - so public transport access would be necessary).

Thanks,
Old May 13th, 2024, 08:23 AM

Hi, 5 days in Vienna and 3 in Prague sounds like the perfect plan, heres an itinerary you can adapt to suit your own personal interests -

Vienna
​​​​​​Day 1: Explore historic center, Naschmarkt, Belvedere Palace.
Day 2: Schönbrunn Palace and Zoo, classical music performance.
Day 3: Day trip to Wachau Valley.
Day 4: MuseumsQuartier, Kunsthistorisches Museum, Ringstrasse.
Day 5: Prater, neighborhood exploration.

Prague
​​​​​​Day 6: Prague Castle, Lesser Town, Charles Bridge, Old Town Square.
Day 7: Jewish Quarter, Wenceslas Square, museums.
Day 8: Vltava River cruise, Lennon Wall, cultural performance.

Have a great time!
Old May 13th, 2024, 08:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Are those "full" days in each, not impacted by arrival/departure? Any chance of jet lag the first day or two? What time of year?

You're going to lose half a day traveling between the two cities. The train journey is at least 4 hours plus time to get to/from the stations at each end.

I would have a hard time deciding which city I enjoyed more. Although for me Vienna offered more to see/do, I really liked the atmosphere of Prague and the friendliness of the Czech people. I prefer to limit day trip travel within a one-hour-or-so radius, so with the number of days available I probably wouldn't make any day trips.
Old May 13th, 2024, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Wow - exceedingly helpful - thanks

Originally Posted by andyhoney
Hi, 5 days in Vienna and 3 in Prague sounds like the perfect plan, heres an itinerary you can adapt to suit your own personal interests -

Vienna
​​​​​​Day 1: Explore historic center, Naschmarkt, Belvedere Palace.
Day 2: Schönbrunn Palace and Zoo, classical music performance.
Day 3: Day trip to Wachau Valley.
Day 4: MuseumsQuartier, Kunsthistorisches Museum, Ringstrasse.
Day 5: Prater, neighborhood exploration.

Prague
​​​​​​Day 6: Prague Castle, Lesser Town, Charles Bridge, Old Town Square.
Day 7: Jewish Quarter, Wenceslas Square, museums.
Day 8: Vltava River cruise, Lennon Wall, cultural performance.

Have a great time!
Old May 13th, 2024, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

The 8 days includes the day we arrive, but not the days we leave. I understand that first day can be challenging - but we are paying for the fancy seats on the plane - so I am hopeful we will arrive reasonably rested.

Originally Posted by Jean
Are those "full" days in each, not impacted by arrival/departure? Any chance of jet lag the first day or two? What time of year?

You're going to lose half a day traveling between the two cities. The train journey is at least 4 hours plus time to get to/from the stations at each end.

I would have a hard time deciding which city I enjoyed more. Although for me Vienna offered more to see/do, I really liked the atmosphere of Prague and the friendliness of the Czech people. I prefer to limit day trip travel within a one-hour-or-so radius, so with the number of days available I probably wouldn't make any day trips.
Old May 13th, 2024, 09:47 AM

In Prague we did a day trip to Theresienstadt and so glad we did this with a guide who also happened to be our guide for the Jewish Quarter. On both fronts she was really knowledgeable and for this day trip there were six of us, interesting in that one of the women had a grandmother who had been born during the war in Theresienstadt and the other young couple, one from Minnesota and one from Israel had grandparents that had been married in one of the synagogues in the Jewish Quarter. She took us to what was called a Hidden Synagogue in what was a garage attached to a residence. The Hidden Synagogue had an Ark and torah scrolls painted on the wall. When the Soviets took over after the War and some of the displaced residents returned, the owner of the residence closed it up and locked the doors and reopened them after the fall of Communism. We had time for only one day trip and did this one over Cesky Krumlov, but I have heard wonderful things about that destination as well. We did take the train from Vienna and it was an easy pleasant ride, arriving about mid-day. So much to see and do in Vienna plus we were there for our daughter who was doing study abroad so we didn't get to do any day trips from there.
Old May 13th, 2024, 10:13 AM

Are you flying multi city, like in to Prague and out from Vienna (or vice versa) or are you flying round-trip from either city? If RT, you will need to get back to the originating city the night before your flight, also cutting into your sightseeing.
Old May 13th, 2024, 10:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Prague has this https://www.prague.eu/en/articles/art-nouveau-17518
Old May 13th, 2024, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

I would have loved to do an open jaw flight - but - to my surprise - there are no nonstops from Washington, DC to Prague. So - in and out of Vienna it is.

Originally Posted by Travel_Nerd
Are you flying multi city, like in to Prague and out from Vienna (or vice versa) or are you flying round-trip from either city? If RT, you will need to get back to the originating city the night before your flight, also cutting into your sightseeing.
Old May 13th, 2024, 10:29 AM

This was a discovery for us the last time we were in Vienna:

https://www.wienmuseum.at/otto_wagne...he_am_steinhof
Old May 13th, 2024, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by rholt
I would have loved to do an open jaw flight - but - to my surprise - there are no nonstops from Washington, DC to Prague. So - in and out of Vienna it is.
Your best bet, then, upon landing in Vienna is to immediately head to Prague. Spend your days there, and then have your nights in Vienna at the second half. Your arrival day is a wash anyway, might as well spend it in transit.

Vienna is larger and has a lot of sightseeing possibilities with museums, palaces, churches. Depending on your interests, I'd spend more time in Vienna. If you're traveling in summer, be wary that some landmarks in both cities either recommend or even require timed entry. Schloss Schönbrunn (Vienna) required timed entry as far back as 2010. Prague Castle may have similar requirements.
Old May 13th, 2024, 11:44 AM

Yes I agree if your return flight is from Vienna, then land in Vienna and get to the train station for the train to Prague. By the time this is all accomplished, it will likely be late afternoon or early evening in Prague, so check in your hotel, have a quick nap or shower, get some dinner and go to sleep so fresh for doing things the next day. Enjoy!
Old May 13th, 2024, 11:57 AM

With that short a time frame, I would not do any day trips. If you want to get out of the urban environmernt, then you can visit a heurigen in Vienna where vineyards serve their wares in a tavern setting. Food and sometimes music is available.
Old May 13th, 2024, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

I learn more from this forum in two hours than I would with a week of googling.

With respect to the short time frame. I am at a point in my life (career profile) where time (not money) is the scarce resource. I sincerely look forward to the point (hopefully - in the next few years) where that relationship is reversed.

Originally Posted by shelemm
With that short a time frame, I would not do any day trips. If you want to get out of the urban environmernt, then you can visit a heurigen in Vienna where vineyards serve their wares in a tavern setting. Food and sometimes music is available.
Old May 14th, 2024, 07:26 PM

It sounds as though the flights are booked, which is too bad, since moving on to Prague upon arrival in Vienna sort of erases the advantage of a direct flight, but I agree that you should definitely go on directly to Prague. You would want to be back in Vienna the night before your flight back, so this eliminates a hotel change if you do all the Vienna time at the end. There are good day trips from Prague, but with such a short time there, I don't think you have time to do any. I had five nights there, and it wasn't too much.
Old May 15th, 2024, 07:58 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I have many thoughts on your proposed trip. We had the privilege of living in VIenna for many years; and I recently had the opportunity for a short and sweet return visit. I knew my way around and had a well-crafted plan, but that doesn't work for a first visit.

Research is key. Prioritize your sightseeing. One traveler's day at KHM/Museums Quartier is another's nightmare. Ditto for Schönbrunn (skip the Zoo if you don't have children) and Belvedere. Ticket reservations and "combo" tickets for museums should be planned ahead; why waste time queueing?

If architecture is not your thing, skip walking the 5km Ringstraße. You'll see beautiful buildings wherever you are in Vienna.

If being in nature is more to your liking, I can suggest easy wanderings in the vineyards in Vienna.

You don't have time for "can't miss" day trips in either city.

As for Prague, I agree with those who suggest you head directly there from Schwecat. Chill out on the train, and begin your tour of Prague refreshed the following morning.
Old May 16th, 2024, 07:43 AM

The gardens at Schonbrunn are like a whole city. Majestic. You can see them and not go in the Palace

Last edited by shelemm; May 16th, 2024 at 07:48 AM.