Search

Pls help..Rome to Lauterbrunnen via train in a day

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2024, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pls help..Rome to Lauterbrunnen via train in a day

Hello fellow travellers
my family of 3 have purchased Eurorail pass tix as we are travelling for 7 weeks on the Continent..our bucket list
we leave Rome on the 23 Sept and have booked into Lauterbrunnen on the 23rd night
we were going to fly but don’t want to miss all the scenary seen from a train
i realise it will be a long day…but please, can anyone offer ideas on how to get from Rome to Lauterbrunnen?
we were hoping for Berina or Glacier express..do we have to go all the way to Inverlaken for transfer?
I am also very unfamiliar with Eurorail pass..any help would be deeply appreciated.
thanking you in advance.
lisa
Old May 16th, 2024, 05:08 PM
J62

“I am also very unfamiliar with Eurorail pass..any help would be deeply appreciated.”

Are you able to return the passes and get a refund?
Rarely, if ever are those passes a good idea. The exception may be if you plan to travel long distance by rail very very frequently.

For starters they don’t include seat reservations which are mandatory on most high speed trains. Point to point tickets, purchased in advance at a discount are likely a far better deal. There are also many local or regional passes that are worthwhile for many regions.

i use the website or app rome2rio.com to scope out how to get from a to b, and seat61.com for all things about rail travel.

Old May 16th, 2024, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

We are visiting 7 countries so yes, the pass was worth it and I do realise I have to book reservations..I have looked at the man in seat 61 but was hoping local,knowledge/ prev travellers experiences would benefit
Old May 16th, 2024, 05:34 PM
J62

I guess i’m missing something. The title says Venice to Lauterbrunnen, but the text says Rome. From the text it sounds like you are flying to Rome in order to get to Switzerland the same day.

What am i missing?
Old May 16th, 2024, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Nothing..sorry should SAY ROME..I’m in hospital with pneumonia so a bit dopey..sorry
Old May 16th, 2024, 06:19 PM
Forum Moderator

We corrected your title to read Rome to Lauterbrunnen
Old May 16th, 2024, 06:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Feel better, Oznuck.
Old May 17th, 2024, 01:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you
Old May 17th, 2024, 01:44 AM

End September, Roma Termini - Lauterbrunnen by train is perfectly feasible:
Roma T dp 12.50 - Lauterbrunnen ar 20.56. Change at Milan, Brig, Spiez and Interlaken.

Bernina Express or Glacier Epress would be feasible, but too stressing:

Rome T dp 6.50 - Milan 10.00/10.20 - Tirano ar 12.52. Tirano dp14.24 by BERNINA Express - Chur ar 18.22
Chur dp 18.38 - Lauterbrunnen ar 22.26, change at Zurich, Bern and Interlaken.

Roma T dp 6.25 - Milan 9.24/9.43 - Lugano 10.51/11.02 - Bellinzona 11.16/11.42 - Chur 13.52/14.26 -- GLACIER EXPRESS - Big 18.40/18.48.- Spiez (change) - Interlaken (change) - Lauterbrunnen ar 20.26
Old May 17th, 2024, 03:46 AM

I have done the day trip from Rome to Basel. It was a long day, but I enjoyed the ride. In my case, I left early from Rome on the FR train to Milan. I got into Milan around 10:45. Caught a regional train from Milan around 11:10 am to Lugano. Had lunch at Ana Capri, the restaurant across the street from the train station (decent food, nice wine selection, great views of Lugano city and lake). From there I could take a direct IC to Basel. But in your case, I would catch a post-lunch IC to Luzern, switch to a train to Interlaken Ost and then the local to Lauterbrunnen. That would be roughly a 12 hour travel day, but there are worse ways to spend a day than riding the rails through Italy, stopping for a leisurely lunch, then heading onward through the Alps and scenic countryside. Note: Long day trips by train have never bothered me. One of my favorite journeys was the 13-hour ride from Brussels to Vienna, back when the train still went along the Rhine. Would also note that traveling first class is definitely worth it for these long journeys.