Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

First time to Bali- lodging and transportation help needed!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2024, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

My husband and I will be visiting Bali for the first time this October. We'll be spending 10 days there, and I was thinking about splitting our lodging in 2 different areas to make the most out of our time. I found a lovely villa in East Bali near Tukad Ringuang, and we're considering maybe staying somewhere outside of Ubud for the second half. We know we don't want to stay in the really built up areas. If there are other areas we should consider- I'm open to suggestions. Our biggest quandary is our flight home leaves at 1:15 am, so we're not sure what our options for that last night will be.

I'm a photographer, and really want to be able to explore the island and take pictures. Not sure if our best course of action is to rent scooters and work our way around ourselves, or hire a driver to take us around. Never ridden a scooter- so there's a bit of trepidation about that. But then again I'm afraid a driver won't want to take us to places at the times we might want to go or stay for longer periods of time.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 03:01 PM
kja

You should be able to negotiate what you want with a good driver. I certainly can’t say what they would or would not do, but the only sure way to know is to try, and if they won’t do something you want, maybe they can suggest an alternative.

I was delighted with my driver in Bali and would be happy to tell you how to reach him if you send me a personal message.
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 06:32 PM

Hi,

If you have already booked accommodation, make sure they can arrange a pick-up from the airport, at least on arrival, and your transportation is settled.

I will not suggest renting a motorbike if you've never driven one. Many motorbike drivers here are crazy! I am a local and get nervous whenever I see someone who has never ridden a motorbike. Your best choice is to rent a car and driver. Usually, a full day is 8 hours; if you extend beyond that, you pay hourly. Or just negotiate from the beginning if you think the trip will last more than 8 hours. If you have particular destinations in mind, tell the driver to take you there, be firm, and say no if they offer to take you somewhere you don't want to be.

For the last night, if your flight departs after midnight, staying one night in an area close to the airport is better. Seminyak/Sanur can be a choice. You can also check some recommendations at OnBali if you need one. Good luck!
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 02:15 AM

I think it is a great idea to split your time between two locations. Can’t comment on east Bali as we have only stayed in or around Ubud and in the north near Permuteran to do some diving there.

I hesitate to suggest specific accommodations as it was too long ago to be relevant but I wouldn’t entirely discount staying in Ubud as many of the places to stay are tucked away in side lanes which are away from the traffic and very quiet yet still handy for the restaurants and attractions etc,. It is also very convenient for getting out and about on day trips.

On one trip we stayed near Kelikii about 8kms from Ubud. A nice walk through the rice terraces into Ubud but otherwise it required taxis which was a pain.

Drivers are very easy to come by in Bali and you can hire them either by the day or per trip. They are relatively inexpensive and generally very flexible , you just need to be very clear on what you expect in terms of times and distances. As photographers , presumably you are thinking of sunset and sunrise which shouldn’t be an issue. I would ask your accommodation for suggestions in advance of your stay and get them to arrange transport from the airport so you can check out the driver right at the start.

" bit of trepidation" . Rightly so! I am an experienced motorcyclist and even I would think twice about renting a scooter in Asia. As a novice, it would be crazy to learn in Bali. I have seen too many deaths and injuries over the years of our travels in Asia. You won’t have any protective gear so if you do come off even at slow speeds the injuries would ruin your vacation - imagine sliding down a giant cheese grater naked an you will get some idea of what it is like to hit tarmac in a tee shirt!
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input! And I laughed out loud at the cheese grater analogy! I will take that to heart for sure. In fact- we met a guy in Mexico whose daughter was seriously hurt on a scooter in Bali, and until you mentioned that I had completely forgotten all about it. Think we'll stick to hiring a driver. Or renting a bicycle!

The place I have been looking at is just north of Ubud, and as you said it's off the beaten path which I like- but there also was a concern about how far it would be to get to restaurants, etc. Moringa Villa is where I am considering, but it states it's a 10 minute drive to Ubud- and over an hour's walk! So I think I'm going to try to find something just a little closer to town.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 04:30 PM

Moringa is a popular villa name all over Bali. Is the one you’re looking at the one in Kedewatan? If yes, it’s a pleasant area, developed enough to offer restaurants and services but still retain the village feeling. There’s plenty to do, both nature and culture. There are several luxury hotels and spas nearby and while the environment is low key it’s also upscale.

Transportation in the Ubud area can be mystifying at first but once you get the hang of it you’ll be fine. You have to understand that “Ubud” refers to both the town and the extensive surrounding area. I’m not a fan of the town but the surrounding countryside still retains the Balinese ethos while being visitor friendly.

Both inside and outside of town, transport is plentiful and infinitely flexible. Drivers want to be accommodating so take the time to explain what you want. For short rides from point A to B fares are informally uniform. For longer distances or longer time periods you can negotiate the cost and details with the driver. Just make sure you come to an agreement before you begin your journey.

I haven’t been to the area around Tukad Ringuan for some time. I wouldn’t recommend it for a beach experience but there are significant temples and volcanic mountains nearby. Aside from a few upscale resorts, it’s an economically depressed region. I would think that transport would be less accessible than in the Ubud area, but if you venture into Candidasa you will places where drivers congregate.

I don’t think it’s necessary to spend your last night near the airport (unless you want to experience one of the southern beaches). Alternatively I’d just enjoy your last day wherever then arrange for a car to pick you up in the early evening and leave your luggage with the driver while you have a relaxing dinner in Batu Belig, Petitenget or Sanur.

Lastly I would note that some drivers, for better or worse, are just drivers while others are also guides. E.g, they offer suggestions, lead excursions, and generally take charge of the experience.
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response! This is the villa I was referring to: https://manggalabali.com/villa/moringa-ubud-villa/

I love the look and feel of it- but not sure if it isn't too remote. We're really not into the super touristy areas, and aren't really beach people (we get bored too quickly! Lol)

I liked the sound of the Villa Jasri because it has views of Mt. Agung, and is close to a beach where there are frequent ceremonies, and is a fishing area- which as a photographer appeals to me. https://www.vrbo.com/530931ha I've messaged them about whether they can recommend a guide or driver, and they state in the description that the gardener will be willing to take us out on his boat. If it looks like it's just going to be too difficult to get someone to take us around from there we'll find another place to stay.
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! I have to admit- while the thought of the scooters is appealing to have the freedom to move around at our own pace- it really does make me nervous. I think we'll probably stick to just hiring a driver.
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 04:13 PM

I will just through out the lodging I used near Ubud (Penestanan technically). Sri Ratih is up a hill which I was able to walk, but they also offered a shuttle into town. Nice pool, good restaurant and A/C! At the base of the hill it is near Murni's Warung, the Blanco Museum and the start of the Campuhan Ridge Walk.
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 07:04 PM

Moringa Ubud Villa appears to be the one in Kedewatan that I was referring to. The Kedewatan area along the Sayan River ridge is really not remote. It’s home to many villas and resorts and their ancillary restaurants, spas, shops etc. as well as plenty of nature and culture related activities. You won’t have difficulty arranging transport in that area.

I’ve never been to Moringa Villa itself so I can’t comment on it one way or another, except to say it sounds like the kind of location that that you’re looking for.

I think your decision comes down to whether you want to stay in the heart of Ubud town proper (I.e Monkey Forest Road) or in one of the Ubud area villages that offer a quieter mix of Ubud’s attractions in a less developed setting.

Either way you will find yourself “commuting” either from town to the countryside or from the countryside to town. What has become greater Ubud sprawls in all directions and I would guess that your destination list will take you over a wide territory

Be aware the Ubud Writers and Readers Festival, which will take place beginning October 23, will draw hundreds of people to Ubud town and the surrounding area.

On the other end of the month, Galungan, which is a huge Balinese Hindu holiday, will take place September 25 to October 5. This is a festive time with temple ceremonies and processions all over Bali.

I can assure that there are beach ceremonies on every Bali beach, even the most developed. As I said, I haven’t spent much time on the east coast recently so I can’t recommend a specific village. I’d look at Amed and Sidemen as scenic and cultural alternatives.

Last edited by marmot; Apr 27th, 2024 at 07:07 PM.
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

That's great to hear. I think it's where I'm going to end up booking.
I contacted the host at our villa in Jasri- they told me there are 10 english speaking drivers available to show us the sights. YAY! They'll also pick us up from the airport- a bonus. I believe she said it would run around $30 USD. Seems reasonable. Sideman isn't too far from where we're staying.

Thanks for the heads up about the writers festival- we'll certainly keep that in mind.
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 06:04 PM

The Writers & Readers Festival is a wonderful event, but if it doesn’t appeal then you might want to reconsider being in Ubud at that time. Last year they had 15,000 attendees which impacts getting around Ubud town as well as the surrounding areas.
Old Apr 29th, 2024, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Wow- 15,000! That's definitely something for us to keep in mind. Thanks for the info.