Stowe, Vermont or Bar Harbor, Maine

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2024, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling from Atlanta, GA mid June. I am hoping to fly into Boston and travel to either Stowe or Bar Harbor. Any suggestions in choosing between the two?
Old May 8th, 2024, 10:05 PM
Forum Moderator

Welcome to the Fodors Forums. Your thread was moved from Tech Support to the United States forum and tagged for Maine and Vermont.
Old May 9th, 2024, 12:38 AM

We haven't been to Bar Harbor in years but will be visiting end of May but staying closer to Ellsworth. Ou adult son and grandson are joining us for a weekend so 12 yo grandson can do some saltwater fishing. Son is reluctant to bring mountain bikes because last time he visited Cadillac was filled with tourists. I've researched carriage roads which don't seem crowded. There are e bicycles to rent if you want to do some biking. Last night friend described popoover dessert at Jordan's we have to have. Have already reserved a boat trip. But we probably will not go into Bar Harbor itself due to crowds especially from cruise ships. I do want to visit at least one garden. My final note is lobster is better in Maine than in Stowe.

if it weren't for the cottage we are renting we would probably not go as far north as Bar Harbor. We usually visit the mid coast area. I would consider driving time and what you want to do. I like the view from the top of Mt Battie better than Cadillac.
Old May 9th, 2024, 08:44 AM

Two entirely different experiences as Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park is on the rocky Maine Coast with dramatic views. Bar Harbor and Acadia have always been popular as destinations but increasingly in demand. Stowe is an upscale ski area in the mountains. It has been a long time since I've been there but I recall it is both lovely and not all that big but beautifully situated in the mountains.

Do you plan to spend anytime in/around Boston itself or just get a rental car and get on the road? There are many places one would want to stop along the way in Maine if that is what you choose, as well as in NH and VT on the way to Stowe.
Old May 9th, 2024, 09:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I am crazy for Vermont (used to live there). So that would be my pick. Nothing against Maine, also a dramatically beautiful state, loved the coast. I don't think I've ever been to Bar Harbor.
Old May 9th, 2024, 12:45 PM

I think it really depends what you want to do. I'd pick Maine myself probably for the coast and possible sailing. I go to Stowe about every year to go skiing, so guess I just don't think of it as anything all that special. Yes, Stowe proper (which is a very small town), is cute enough and tourists seem drawn to it even though there isn't really much of anything to do there, like most small towns. I mean outside of the skiing. There is a trail for walking/hiking, though. The town itself isn't really in the mountains, it's actually in a valley between Mt Mansfield/Green Mtns and Worcester Range. The ski hill is a mountain (Mt Mansfield and Spruce Peak), but that's outside of town, of course. Now some tourists like to shop for cute things, and you can do that around in Vermont, in general, cheese and stuff, etc. If you want to go hiking mainly, or biking, or driving around country roads, it would be good. Stowe as a good walking path (Stowe Recreation Path). You can drop into Burlington easily for the "big city" vibe, and I use that term loosely as Burlington is only about 50K population, I think.

It just really depends what you want to do. In summer, Vermont could well be less crowded than Bar Harbor, though. I'll admit I've never been to Bar Harbor, I haven't been past Camden/Rockland and those places were super crowded in summer when I was there. Maybe Bar Harbor is different.