For me the lasting impression was the assault on the senses. Visually the intensity of the colours, and the mishmash of goods in the stalls. I could not believe the number of shoes held in one shop. Far more than I have seen in a single Sydney store. Then there was the intermingled smell of herbs and leather and barbeque and metals and tangerines, and pervading all this was the sounds of tribal tam tams interspersed with the piercing call to prayer. I went to photograph the souks and hired a licensed guide who seemed to know everyone, and with his help, was welcomed into many stores without expectation of purchase and freedom to photograph. Without him, the experience was quite different, with most shopkeepers not wanting photos taken, and being persistent in trying to sell their merchandise. A more complete illustrated report is provided at http://www.artphototravel.net/middle-east/marrakech-morocco/ including images and maps. Hopes this helps with expectations.
Souks of Marrakech, my Impressions.
- 1 RSA: Tswalu vs Mashatu vs Phinda
- 2 Morocco - private tour operators
- 3 Advice on Porinin camps?
- 4 6 nights in Morocco - how long to spend in marrakech and fes each?
- 5 Best Budget Tour Operator
- 6 Is now a good time to visit Yemen
- 7 Currency Exchange in Morocco
- 8 High Atlas/Desert Tour Operators
- 9 How to choose tour group for Egypt
- 10 2 weeks in South Africa with teens
- 11 Driving Aswan to Luxor
- 12 phone service
- 13 Tanzania in 2014
- 14 Difference between Air Botswana and South African Air
- 15 Morocco . . . Rough Around the Edges
- 16 16 Days in Uganda - mountain gorillas and so much more!
- 17 How to find if safari company is legit ?
- 18 Mosquito repellants whicwork best !!
- 19 Living in Morocco.
- 20 Our best trip ever - in Morocco
- 21 Mozambique 1 - 13 June 2013.
- 22 Yellow Fevor innoculation revisited
- 23 Questions re Gorillas in Rwanda and money in both Rwanda and Tanzania
- 24 Help! First trip to Africa and overwhelmed!!
- 25 TRIP REPORT: Northern Tanzania with a Birding Twist 2/13