I am starting to plan a trip to China in April. We are already booked to fly in and out of Hong Kong, as we have friends there to visit. Aside from that, I have the following places on my wish list. You will note that I am not including Beijing, and while I know there will be those that say don't miss it, I have other places I'd rather do (no Shanghai either).
My husband and I are fairly experienced travelers, and prefer slightly off the beaten path experiences. We would most likely fly between cities if possible to minimize travel time, but trains are a possibility as well, especially if they're overnight ones.
Jiayuguan/Dunhuang - Great Wall, Mogao Caves (3-4 nights)
Xian - Terracotta Warriors (2-3 nights)
Chengdu - Pandas, Leshan, Emei Shan (3-4 nights)
Guillan/Yangshou OR Lijiang area - Torn between these two (3-4 nights)
We have 13 nights total for these destinations. I am trying to figure out how long and how hard it will be to travel from place to place, especially as we're in and out of Hong Kong. I am especially interested in feedback on the last dilemna, but also any advice on getting to the Jiayuguan/Dunhuang area (round trip from Xian I am thinking). This part of the Great Wall sounds great since we're missing Beijing, plus the other interesting sights/off the beaten path feel, even though I know this is a haul.
In general, we like interesting architecture, beautiful natural scenery, good food, and hiking/walking. I am anticipating that this trip will have more stops than some prefer, but am willing to give up a little relaxation time in order to see more.
As always, I appreciate your help. I always receive such helpful feedback from the forums, which makes me feel bad that I haven't done trip reports lately!
Advice on China Itinerary
- 1 Most Rocking Manchester Events With Social Circle
- 2 Guys,i find a new unique shop online supplier
- 3 Suggestion for Bali
- 4 4 days with Orangutans Balikpapan + Camp Leakey
- 5 Elephant Visit in Chiang Mai
- 6 Photography Trip to Vietnam
- 7 Trip plans to SE Asia for 2014 coming together! Int'l flights purchased!
- 8 Proposed Sri Lanka Itinerary - any opinions welcome
- 9 Suggestions for Asian visit Feb. 2014, incl. Singapore
- 10 Rajasthan tour: Car and Driver services, advise needed
- 11 Beijing To Tibet, Mt. Everest And Nepal All In 10 Days
- 12 Cambodia, Laos and a bit of Hong Kong - 5 1/2 weeks (Jan.24-March 4, 2013)
- 13 which hotel in Bangkok in July?
- 14 Family Japan Trip in August for First Time - Hotel Planning Advice
- 15 Dreamliner to Japan in Nov.?
- 16 Hello, Vietnam
- 17 Is it worth switching hotels in Tokyo?
- 18 11 days in Japan, JR pass question
- 19 Sri Lanka
- 20 Nepal, Tibet, and Bhutan tour suggestions
- 21 Kashmir or Nepal
- 22 Udaipur, India
- 23 Ipoh
- 24 Conference venues around Pune City?
- 25 Treasure Junk Halong/Bai Tu Long bay crusie?