I am planning to take an organized bike trip in Burma in March and I would love to hear all of your feedback re a few questions:
1) Thoughts/experiences on the weather in March? I have a fairly high tolerance for heat but am most concerned about ridiculous humidity (and the fact that I will be cycling).
2) I have read a number of forum responses discussing high tourism and low supply of tourism infrastructure. Many responders have advised to wait 1-2 years until the infrastructure catches up. I am eager to go now to see the country (culturally and economically) in its nascent/beginning stages of development so having upscale accommodation is less of a concern for me. I am a bit confused by this advice to wait 1-2 years because there will be even more tourists! Yes, the infrastructure could catch up but the demand will also be exponentially higher. As I said before, I am interested in seeing Burma in a more "raw" stage of development.
3) As I mentioned, I am planning to be with an organized bike trip for most of my visit. I am considering a few different companies: Backroads, Spice Roads, and Grasshopper. Anyone have any feedback/experiences with these companies? Backroads is about $2000 more expensive than the other two trips and is 5 days shorter, but seems more upscale and established. Spice Roads and Grasshopper seem to have almost identical 13 day trips but I have found only a few reviews for those trips. I'd love to hear if anyone has had experiences with those companies and/or with other companies!
Thank you in advance for your help!
Burma: General travel experiences/tips and Bike Trips
- 1 Beijing To Tibet, Mt. Everest And Nepal All In 10 Days
- 2 Weather in Bangkok & Phuket in September
- 3 Udaipur, India
- 4 Suggestions for Asian visit Feb. 2014, incl. Singapore
- 5 9 PM arrival in Narita
- 6 where is best place to exchange left over Chinese RMB's for US dollars
- 7 Photography Trip to Vietnam
- 8 Which flight from BKK to Chiang Mai should I take?
- 9 Kanchanaburi - Toi's Tours
- 10 Thailand-Japan-China (is it a bad idea?)
- 11 Trip plans to SE Asia for 2014 coming together! Int'l flights purchased!
- 12 11 days in Japan, JR pass question
- 13 Nepal, Tibet, and Bhutan tour suggestions
- 14 where to go in SE Asia
- 15 4 days with Orangutans Balikpapan + Camp Leakey
- 16 Elephant Visit in Chiang Mai
- 17 Proposed Sri Lanka Itinerary - any opinions welcome
- 18 Kuala Lumpur - Doubletree (Hilton) or Renaissance (Marriott)?
- 19 which hotel in Bangkok in July?
- 20 Uzbekistan: A Lesson in Silk Road Hospitality
- 21 Siem Reap from San Fran in winter 2013 FIRST TIME to Asia
- 22 trip report to tajmahal agra india
- 23 Hilton coming in Zhengzhou, China?
- 24 Dreamliner to Japan in Nov.?
- 25 Cambodia, Laos and a bit of Hong Kong - 5 1/2 weeks (Jan.24-March 4, 2013)