I have visited Kolkata three times. The first being in 1965, then in 2002 and the latest in March 2012. Over this time, I have witnessed dramatic changes to the life of the city, and although it still generates a powerful, attractive -repulsive spell on my psyche, the overall impact is now more subdued. So whereas, in 1965, Kolkata was a major cultural shock in every respect, the cultural impact to the casual visitor is now much less. Don't get me wrong, it still generates a significant impact. It is after all a large teeming chaotic metropolis seething with humanity rising out of the dust and dirt, with glimpses here and there of its grand colonial heritage. I went with the idea of photographing the colour and activity of the people and have written an illustrated report at http://www.artphototravel.net/india/kolkata-revisted-india/ which includes highlights, images and a map.
Kolkata revisited, for the third time.
- 1 Suggestion for Bali
- 2 Suggestions for Asian visit Feb. 2014, incl. Singapore
- 3 Rajasthan tour: Car and Driver services, advise needed
- 4 Beijing To Tibet, Mt. Everest And Nepal All In 10 Days
- 5 Cambodia, Laos and a bit of Hong Kong - 5 1/2 weeks (Jan.24-March 4, 2013)
- 6 which hotel in Bangkok in July?
- 7 Family Japan Trip in August for First Time - Hotel Planning Advice
- 8 Dreamliner to Japan in Nov.?
- 9 Hello, Vietnam
- 10 Is it worth switching hotels in Tokyo?
- 11 4 days with Orangutans Balikpapan + Camp Leakey
- 12 11 days in Japan, JR pass question
- 13 Sri Lanka
- 14 Nepal, Tibet, and Bhutan tour suggestions
- 15 Kashmir or Nepal
- 16 Udaipur, India
- 17 Elephant Visit in Chiang Mai
- 18 Ipoh
- 19 Conference venues around Pune City?
- 20 Treasure Junk Halong/Bai Tu Long bay crusie?
- 21 Photography Trip to Vietnam
- 22 LCCT to KL Sentral or 1Utama?
- 23 Honeymoon in Bali, July 2013
- 24 Shopping- Beijing or Hong Kong?
- 25 Saphan Taksin station in the news again?