Forty seven years on, and our recent trip to Varanasi felt the same. Of course, the population has increased and new suburbs have expanded outward since our first visit, but the old city, the crowded Ghats along the river, and the ominous haze from the burning pyres generated the same powerful, emotional impact. The highlights were a dawn boat ride along the Ganges, the Aarti ceremony at the Dasaswamedh Ghat, and walking the alleyways of the old city. I have written an illustrated article at http://www.artphototravel.net/india/varanasi-india/ that provides information, photos and map for planning purposes.
- 1 11 days in Japan, JR pass question
- 2 Sri Lanka
- 3 Nepal, Tibet, and Bhutan tour suggestions
- 4 Kashmir or Nepal
- 5 Beijing To Tibet, Mt. Everest And Nepal All In 10 Days
- 6 Udaipur, India
- 7 Elephant Visit in Chiang Mai
- 8 Ipoh
- 9 Hello, Vietnam
- 10 Conference venues around Pune City?
- 11 Treasure Junk Halong/Bai Tu Long bay crusie?
- 12 4 days with Orangutans Balikpapan + Camp Leakey
- 13 Photography Trip to Vietnam
- 14 LCCT to KL Sentral or 1Utama?
- 15 which hotel in Bangkok in July?
- 16 Honeymoon in Bali, July 2013
- 17 Shopping- Beijing or Hong Kong?
- 18 Saphan Taksin station in the news again?
- 19 Amazing Malaysia Trip!
- 20 Rajasthan tour: Car and Driver services, advise needed
- 21 Weather in Bangkok & Phuket in September
- 22 Wildlife Tour of India
- 23 Choosing a honeymoon Thai beach destination
- 24 white sand beaches in thailand
- 25 Trekking the Annapurna Circuit