I'm traveling to Sri Lanka from mid-September to mid-December. For the first 1 1/2 months I will be staying near Uda Walawe National Park. That is taken care of.
For the next 1 1/2 months, I want to travel to the major cities and sites such as Kandy, Sinharaja Rainforest, Ratnapura, Adam's Peak, possibly Jaffna and elsewhere in the north, and more. I have not made any reservations at hotels and have not contacted any drivers for this portion of my stay, because I don't want to need to be at such and such a place at such and such a time. I want to be able to linger and launch, depending on the opportunity that presents itself.
Since from November to mid-December is pretty much the least touristy time of the year (correct me if I'm wrong), I figure that I will not need advance bookings. I plan on finding hotels and guesthouses as I go. Is this an accurate statement, and possible?
Also, as far as getting around, I know that there is public transportation such as buses to places like Kandy, but what about the smaller locales and sites? Again, I am hesitant to book beforehand because I want to be as little restricted as I can -- also, I am trying to keep costs down, so I definitely am not keen on going with a tour group. Is it possible to find REPUTABLE drivers as I go, from hotels, for instance, rather than getting them beforehand?
"Winging It" in Sri Lanka
- 1 July trip to Asia- advice needed
- 2 India, What Can I Say!
- 3 Do you know this couple? They travel from SE Asia to Chicago Tuesday
- 4 Shopping- Beijing or Hong Kong?
- 5 Proposed Sri Lanka Itinerary - any opinions welcome
- 6 Beijing To Tibet, Mt. Everest And Nepal All In 10 Days
- 7 Best Time to Visit Goa
- 8 Wildlife Tour of India
- 9 taxi from manila airport to makati
- 10 Nepal, Tibet, and Bhutan tour suggestions
- 11 Mumbai: Oberoi or Four Seasons
- 12 Please help with one month Indonesia itinerary!
- 13 Suggestion on good hotel with kitchenette in Jogjakarta
- 14 Honeymoon in Bali, July 2013
- 15 Searching Flights from JFK to Malaysai, average price range?
- 16 Saphan Taksin station in the news again?
- 17 Busan cruise terminal to Busan central station
- 18 Suggestions for Asian visit Feb. 2014, incl. Singapore
- 19 hotel for quick stopover in Bali?
- 20 Photography Trip to Vietnam
- 21 Burma features "Alice in Wonderland"
- 22 Any Recommendations for an Agra Hotel?
- 23 Pushpesh Baid wants suggestions for south India trip
- 24 Conference venues around Pune City?
- 25 Udaipur, India