I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
tongariro circuit reopened by late december?
- 1 New Zealand South Island (mostly) Trip Report
- 2 Tasmanian West Coast
- 3 Sydney hotel
- 4 Melbourne Money Exchange
- 5 Cricket, diving and NZ - how long to fit it all in?
- 6 Australia Tour Operator Help
- 7 3 weeks in NZ self drive
- 8 Hotels in Australia
- 9 Hidden Gems in Melbourne
- 10 Help with 4 weeks on South Island!
- 11 Travel to NZ with a dog
- 12 6 hour wait at sydney for flight to brisbane. Any ideas to pass the time?
- 13 Darwin, Kakadu, Katherine itinerary help
- 14 Australia 18 day trip advice
- 15 Sydney airport to Circular Quay least expensive option
- 16 BEWARE: Avoid Wicked Travel
- 17 Careful before booking any short-term accommodation on NSW Coast
- 18 Micronesia- when to visit
- 19 Seeking hike companion for Stewart Island (southernmost NZ)
- 20 Please Help my New Zealand 10 days trip Itinerary...
- 21 10 Days in NZ South Island - Feedback?
- 22 Help me plan my April - May trip to Australia
- 23 1st trip to New Zealand
- 24 Melbourne--in the summer is air conditioning a must ?
- 25 Hotel suggestions near Brisbane airport?