I’m planning a trip to Banff and Vancouver for the first time in early-mid June and am looking for tips and advice on our itinerary plan. I have a conference in Banff so will first fly into Calgary and then take a shuttle (or car rental) to the hotel in Banff. We also plan to do an Alaska cruise that departs on June 14.
I arrive in Banff on June 5 and have 2 days free (June 5 and 6) – should I rent a car in Calgary or in Banff to get around or do a guided tour?
The next few days will be busy with the conference so I will assume minimal sightseeing.
The next free day starts on June 9th – and I would like to be in Vancouver by night on June 12th to be safe and enjoy 2 nights in Vancouver before the cruise on the 14th.
1. So my question is what would be a good driving itinerary from Banff to Vancouver over 4 days. I would like to see Lake Louise, Jasper, Whistler, Icefields Parkway and any other scenic spots along the way.
2. From some basic research, some have suggested that I go Banff --> Jasper-->and then retrace back south on the Icefields parkway to Lake Louise (as the views are different each way) and then take highway #1 -->Kamloops or Whistler --->Vancouver
a. Or is the driving from Jasper to Vancouver on Highway 5 safe and not too dangerous and scenic and more preferable?
1. What car rental companies offer good rental fees for 1-way rentals from Banff to Vancouver without a hefty drop-off fee
2. Would it be better to rent the car in Banff or Calgary?
3. What is the best and most scenic highway routes to take?
4. How much time should we spend at each stop?
5. I’m thinking to start the drive to Japser on June 9th and stay in Jasper for 2 nights (9 & 10) and leave on the 11th to Lake Louise on the way to Vancouver. Or should I go to Lake Louise first from Banff then to --> Jasper --> Vancouver? Then on the 12th drive to Whistler and then to Vancouver
6. So then the issue is where to stay overnight on the 11th – Lake Louise or continue driving to Kamloops (another 5 hours). Which would be the better place to stay overnight or is there another better option in between?
7. What are the “must-see” sights in both the parks and enroute and where will be get our most bang for our buck in terms of scenery with limited time and it being our first time in this region?
I’m just in the early stages of planning so would welcome any advice.
1st Time Itinerary Help-Banff-Jasper-Vancouver
- 1 Nova Scotia in 10 days - Roundtrip from Bangor, ME
- 2 First time trip to Montreal for senior couple (late sixties)
- 3 Huge British Columbia roadtrip
- 4 Reservations needed for BC ferries between Tsawwassen and Swartz Bay?
- 5 Need help, can't decide
- 6 Calgary - Things to Do
- 7 Transportation from Toronto to Niagara Falls
- 8 Accommodation in Kelowna area
- 9 Canadian SIM card options (in Nova Scotia)?
- 10 NIAGARA FALLS TO RAPID CITY MOST SCENIC ROUTE PLEASE
- 11 Canadian Rodeo in early to mid July --- somewhere near Montreal or Ontario?
- 12 Two weeks in Quebec with kids.
- 13 Preclearing US customs in Canada
- 14 Vancouver + Vancouver Island August Trip
- 15 Hike/Trail recommendations in Banff?
- 16 Parksville Or Nanaimo
- 17 Info about Visiting Yoho's Lake O'Hara, please!
- 18 2 weeks in vancouver with small baby
- 19 How similar are the Tofino area of B.C. and the San Juan Islands of WA state?
- 20 help! quebec city with a toddler.
- 21 Sidney, Pender, Galiano, Saturna - best route?
- 22 Brier Island versus Digby (or Annapolis Royal)
- 23 Road Trip from Montreal to PEI to Cape Breton
- 24 Hotel or B and B in Halifax
- 25 chartered power boat trip for family of 5 from Vancouver Island