We're heading over to the States and Canada for Dec/Jan this year, planning to cover the West Coast then fly across to the East. It's going to be a cool experience- we're from tropical Queensland where 10 degrees c is a cool day! Would love some helpful tips for the itinerary we've put together so far!
Itinerary as it stands:
Fly to San Fran (2 nights)
Fly to Seattle (or train to Portland, then Seattle) (2 nights)
~ any thoughts on whether Portland worth a stop? Is is better just to fly through to Seattle? (I realise it's a long trip by train)
Ferry to Vancouver (2 nights)
Fly Montreal, train Quebec (2 nights)
Return to Montreal via train, (2 nights)
Train to Toronto (4 nights) (daytrip to Niagara) (probably for Christmas Day)
I've read that the US doesn't celebrate Boxing Day, wondering if Canada does and how widespread the closures are if so- is it an ok day to travel?
Third leg is getting to NYC, is it better to travel East from Toronto or to go south via Lancaster etc.
I'm Wondering if the Amish/Mennonite communities are accessible via public transport during Winter.
Is a Niagara-Lancaster-Washington DC-Philadelphia route a worthwhile on via train?
We'd like to make it to NY for the 30 of Dec (despite the horrific price rises at hotels at that time of year!)... so is it realistic to cover all of these between the 26-30?
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Exploring US & Canada December '12
- 1 Reservations needed for BC ferries between Tsawwassen and Swartz Bay?
- 2 Canadian Rodeo in early to mid July --- somewhere near Montreal or Ontario?
- 3 Buchart Gardens - Will flowers be blooming in early September?
- 4 Parksville Or Nanaimo
- 5 Huge British Columbia roadtrip
- 6 Road Trip from Montreal to PEI to Cape Breton
- 7 Vancouver sightseeing - transportation tips
- 8 Itinery: Ottawa to Newfoundland
- 9 First time trip to Montreal for senior couple (late sixties)
- 10 Nova Scotia in June
- 11 Free National Geographic Travel Map of Newfoundland
- 12 Nova Scotia in 10 days - Roundtrip from Bangor, ME
- 13 Montreal-NB-PEI by car for a 7 day trip
- 14 Calgary - Things to Do
- 15 Transportation from Toronto to Niagara Falls
- 16 Need help, can't decide
- 17 Accommodation in Kelowna area
- 18 Canadian SIM card options (in Nova Scotia)?
- 19 NIAGARA FALLS TO RAPID CITY MOST SCENIC ROUTE PLEASE
- 20 Two weeks in Quebec with kids.
- 21 Preclearing US customs in Canada
- 22 Vancouver + Vancouver Island August Trip
- 23 Hike/Trail recommendations in Banff?
- 24 Info about Visiting Yoho's Lake O'Hara, please!
- 25 2 weeks in vancouver with small baby