I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
~3 Weeks w/ 6 year old in UK
- 1 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 2 First Timer - Itinerary Help - Europe tour for 22 days
- 3 Best area to visit in Switzerland during October first or second week
- 4 Netherland -> belgium -> Germany (Rhine Valley)
- 5 Itinerary suggestions please: Munich, Ortisei and ???
- 6 just want to know
- 7 2 days in Frankfurt - where to stay -what to do - or straight to Paris
- 8 UK in the Fall: Trip Suggestions
- 9 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 10 Air show in Paris, what to expect
- 11 Palace of Versailles guided tours
- 12 When to exchange US dollars to Euros
- 13 Buying tickets for London shows from online sites
- 14 New & Improved 2 Week Honeymoon Itinerary Italy
- 15 Rhine/Mosel River Itinerary
- 16 Day trip to Capri
- 17 Mature and Reliable nanny,housekeeper drivers and privatenurse needed in UK
- 18 London at Xmas
- 19 Eiffel tower tickets- June8-15 will I need to queue?
- 20 Barcelona neighborhoods and hotels
- 21 Iceland: whitewater river kayaking?
- 22 Easyjet has changed the rules re size of carry-on baggage
- 23 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 24 Italian languaje course in Rome, acomodation advice
- 25 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy