I think I finally have an outline for this trip, but I was hoping to get some advice to avoid any potential pitfalls. We haven't bought airline tickets yet, but have been watching prices and will likely do so very soon Here's what I have so far. Please tell me if there is something obvious I am overlooking.
Fly into Heathrow. Catch Oxford Bus:
2 nights: Hang out in Oxford for while getting over jet lag.
1 night: Rent car and head to Hay-on-Wye for an overnight. (My wife is a bibliophile and absolutely insisted. She also said I probably didn't want to let her spend two days there.)
3-4 nights: Farmstay in North Wales. (Must have horses. My daughter is nuts for horses. Collies would be a definite plus.)
3 nights: Edinburgh (I assume we'll pretty much leave the car parked somewhere while we're here.)
2 nights: Glencoe and around
3 nights: Isle of Skye. Then, drive to Inverness and drop off car at the airport. Fly to London. (Will book shortly after buying the main ticket)
4-5 nights: London (and then Eurostar to Paris, but that's another post...)
Some data about us, if it helps: We are ~40, casual walkers but not trekkers. My wife is a bibliophile and also loves beaches and good food. My daughter is 6, loves horses, dogs, trains, boats, and running around. I have a particular interest in ruins and prehistoric sites. We are fine with cities, but not really nightlife people (especially not with a 6 year-old in tow).
A few other things. This schedule has us going through Hay-on-Wye well before the Festival there - this was on purpose. My one major concern is that it looks like we'll be on the Isle of Skye during the bank holiday. i assume I should book early to account for this?
Thanks for the patience with the stupid questions!
~3 Weeks w/ 6 year old in UK
- 1 Loire Valley & Brittany - recommendations?
- 2 Through Naples to Sorrento or Pompei?
- 3 Florence Day Trip to Sienna: should we stop along the way? Where?
- 4 Going to London next week but can't find hotel/hostel!!
- 5 Planning my days in Paris
- 6 Paris trip: first draft:. requesting your comments
- 7 Trip to London
- 8 New & Improved 2 Week Honeymoon Itinerary Italy
- 9 just want to know
- 10 car hire france and spain
- 11 Netherland -> belgium -> Germany (Rhine Valley)
- 12 Sketches from Italy: Rome, Ischia and Frascati
- 13 Paris Budget Hotel-Sept 2013 (Single; 100 Euros/night)
- 14 UK in the Fall: Trip Suggestions
- 15 Anyone used this rental agency called Short Time Rental in Paris,
- 16 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 17 Scenic train Milan - Paris
- 18 London at Xmas
- 19 Discount retail liquor stores - Barcelona or Madrid, Spain areas
- 20 Almalfi in Late March??
- 21 Levanto, Italy B&B
- 22 Swiss visit - Mürren for Berner Oberland and Chur? Sargans? for Engadin hub
- 23 Slovenia/Northern Croatia in mid-August - hotel and other advice?
- 24 French Riviera Overview
- 25 ROME itinerary suggestions