My brother and I, and spouses, Canadians, are booked for a river cruise beginning in Basel November 29, 2013. It's still too early to book the flights, but in the meantime I want to figure out a plan. At first, I assumed we'd fly into Zurich, but then noticed it'll probably be the same price to fly into Basel instead. The cruise begins on a Friday, and we can fly in to arrive on the previous Saturday at the earliest. We'll be jet-lagged to begin with, but after a day to recover, interested in seeing something of Switzerland, as it'll be our first visit. I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for where to fly into (Zurich or Basel), and where to go from there, given the time of year. We aren't really interested in museums, unless the weather is bad. We all like walking, scenery, food, drink, taking in the atmosphere of the place. Also, we'd like to see Christmas lights and markets, though we'll be doing this on the cruise as well, and I know many don't start until December. I don't think Zurich is high on my list, but Lucerne is, and Basel itself looks lovely. Do we see anything interesting on the train journey between Zurich airport and Lucerne, that would argue for a Zurich flight? If we fly into Basel, and just base ourselves there until the cruise begins, can we do day trips to interesting places, including Lucerne, or is that too pricey (we'll be using the train) and time-consuming? Thanks.
4 to 6 days near Basel in winter
- 1 Help needed with ratp site for Paris bus and metro
- 2 Berlin Excursion from our ship...
- 3 Tool for comparing train cost with and without Eurail
- 4 Anyone used Rive Gauche Rive Droit, or worked with William Royer?
- 5 London at Xmas
- 6 Do I Need A Visa for London?
- 7 Wife's first trip to Europe. Set on Paris & Rome, Need 3rd destination?
- 8 Bank of England Museum
- 9 Need restaurant suggestions for Chipping Camden!
- 10 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 11 separate beds in Frankfurt and Munich
- 12 Eiffel tower tickets- June8-15 will I need to queue?
- 13 Motor Home North Italy Route Suggestions
- 14 France bed and breakfasts and restaurants in Provence, Vaison La Romaine, Uzès, Paris
- 15 East coast trains
- 16 Florence Day Trip to Sienna: should we stop along the way? Where?
- 17 London Itinerary Advice 6-10 September
- 18 Which tour company would be best?
- 19 First night after arriving in Milan
- 20 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 21 Help with Itinerary for Marseille/Provence trip in September
- 22 France by rail or car?
- 23 Planning my days in Paris
- 24 Suggestions for Istanbul Stayover
- 25 Cinque Terre or Lake Como August - 3 nights