I wish to travel to Iceland around the last week of May (before the peak season starts) and was wondering if anyone could please help me with my questions. My primary purpose is to photograph the beautiful landscapes (Waterfalls ,glaciers)...
This will be a first trip for my wife and I and after reading a lot of threads I have come to realize that instead of taking any bus tours, we could be ok if we rented a vehicle and do a road trip ourselves.
1. How would the road condition be ( Rd 1 mostly) except for the golden triangle tour (different road) ? Is the Rte 1 paved all the way to the south ( till JokulSarlon) ?
2. Is it rainy/cold/wet around that time of the year?
3. Anyone rented a car from sixT ? Seems like a few complaints have come in but now they do offer coverage for gravel/sand damage....
4. Is this a decent month photography wise ?
5. Do I really need a 4WD during the trip or a 2wd vehicle is sufficient?
My itinerary would be something like this:
1. Day 1 in Reykjavik
2. Snaeffelsjokull NP
3. Do Golden Circle (Þingvellir – Gullfoss Waterfall and Geysir Hot Springs – Faxi waterfall – Kerið )
4. South Coast (South Coast, Skaftafell National Park) . Where could 1 stay here to be able to visit Jokulsarlon early in the day (next day) ?
5. Jokulsarlon (early morning), drive back to Reykjavik
6. Fly back home
I appreciate all/any help you may have....
5-6 days in Iceland in May, road trip possible?
- 1 London hotels
- 2 Advice Sought for Train Schedule in Spain
- 3 Travel to Italy with kids...where to stay
- 4 Help with Sept. itinerary going north from Dublin
- 5 PARIS: apartment for a family of 4. Could use your help.
- 6 Time from Venice airport to St Marks Square
- 7 Nice
- 8 Bernina Express questions
- 9 Carpe Diem Flights Booked! Need help w final itinerary France/Switzerland
- 10 Ireland from Shannon to Cork
- 11 Am I in an unsafe Parisian neighborhood?
- 12 Italy-Locarno or Stresa
- 13 Student Traveling 2 weeks in France, Italy etc
- 14 Paris to Basel on EuRail pass
- 15 12 days, 3 couples, one week in London Sept 2013
- 16 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 17 Clifden Ireland, farm or stable lodging
- 18 Train tickets
- 19 Should we stop in Basel on our way to Zurich.
- 20 How to get from Nice to Cinque Terre by train
- 21 Swiss visit - Mürren for Berner Oberland and Chur? Sargans? for Engadin hub
- 22 First Timer - Itinerary Help - Europe tour for 22 days
- 23 Cuenca or Toledo
- 24 please HELP--so confused!!
- 25 Rhine/Mosel River Itinerary