I am (Non-EU) PhD student in Amsterdam and I was returning from work when I was stopped for a routine Guns, Knives police control while entering a metro station. I told them that I had a swiss knife (actually a leatherman wingman multi tool) in my backpack, which I use at work. The police decided that it was still easily accessible and that I would have to pay a fine and the multitool confiscated, since there is now a city wide Knife ban ?
I am now to wait for a letter from the Justice department which will decide what my fine would be.
How serious is this offence specially since its is a multitool ? How much is the fine generally ?
The police officer said he would mention that I was co-operative in his report and that it is a multitool. I was given a receipt(which had a waiver that I am giving up the multitool) and something else with my information on it, a citation I guess ?
This has upset me specially since I was not told what the fine could be nor how serious an offence this can be with respect to future work or even applying for visas to other countries.
Date: March 8th, 2013
Amsterdam, Laws and Knife ban ?
- 1 Prague Itinerary
- 2 A Christmas Store in Paris
- 3 EU Rule On Olive Oil Roils Europe!
- 4 International Trains to Switzerland using Swiss Pass
- 5 Help me choose places to visit in Italy
- 6 London at Xmas
- 7 how much time in York, Edinburgh, etc?
- 8 Best castle for 7 and 9 year old boys
- 9 When to exchange US dollars to Euros
- 10 Car rental Italy
- 11 Zagreb, rental car and Slovenia
- 12 browsing homes for sale in Kent
- 13 Weather's crummy in northern Italy now--suggestions for places
- 14 A few questions about the Amalfi Coast (in May)
- 15 Northern Italy
- 16 How to make a phone call from a pay phone in London to Germany
- 17 Sicily- two week summer vacation
- 18 Sights to see, places to stop in drive from Edinburgh to London
- 19 I am Planning about to spend holidays at Windermere
- 20 Best area for wine and which one?
- 21 Time Out London - is there a replacement?
- 22 Venice - another trip report (deja vu all over again)
- 23 Gatwick Express 5 for 3 -- available at Victoria station or only online?
- 24 Pre-paid SIM card at Munich Airport
- 25 Bellevue House in Florence Contact ?