I have been poring through all the posts and reports on Turkey to better plan our upcoming trip. They have been SO helpful.
Some questions remain.
Background: Family of four, two teens, trip is in late March.
We are booked for 6 days in Istanbul to start (apartment in Sultanahmet)
Thinking of flying to Cappadocia (Goreme) from Istanbul and staying 4 days - hiking etc. We might drive as cost of flights for four people does add up - even with discount airlines. I am not sure we can afford balloon rides. Wow they are expensive for 4 people....and will 4 days in a cave room be too much? (Vineyard or Taskonak)
This leaves us 6 days. THinking of renting a car and driving to the coast. But where and which route?
Ideally we would like to end in a sunny warm spot with some cultural interest, good walking, good food, perhaps wildlife. (I know it's not beach weather yet but just to sit out in sunshine would be lovely before heading back to Canada). Not in a big concrete beach resort. Looked at Cirali but that might be too far off track given our time, and perhaps not as warm as other spots. We like to spend more time in one place rather than rushing around to several.
Our flight home is late afternoon from Istanbul. Debating driving that day from somewhere further up the coast. Having said that I don't think we really want to see Pammukkale and on the fence about Ephesus. Would love to see it if nearby.
Appreciate any tips. It is such a huge country it is hard to narrow down. I am even considering dropping Cappadocia if this would provide a more leisurely coastal trip - starting out of Istanbul and only using a car. Is this a bad idea? Just seems like we are travelling huge distances within one country. I have travelled a lot in Southwestern USA (Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, etc) and not sure Cappadocia will be that significantly different for the time and cost involved in getting there. Clearly the churches and museums there will be amazing, I am referring to the hiking and natural landscape. I know once there I will enjoy but also worried about weather at that time.
Sorry for so many questions!
cappadocia to coast by car? or skip cappadocia?
- 1 Apartment location
- 2 Connection in Newark EWR
- 3 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 4 1st, 6th or 7th in Paris
- 5 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 6 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 7 Help with Itinerary for Marseille/Provence trip in September
- 8 portugal
- 9 Refining London and Scotland
- 10 Arriving at Rome FCO and departing from ZRH-luggage transfer advice
- 11 Schiphol to cruise port - luggage problem
- 12 Ibiza to Valencia- travel tip request
- 13 Help with itenerary
- 14 Rome Hotels near Termini
- 15 Rhine River Intinerary
- 16 Rough Itinerary for Scotland, please more help
- 17 Student Traveling 2 weeks in France, Italy etc
- 18 Travel to Italy prior to study abroad in Spain, Study Visa
- 19 Rome to Amalfie Coast-10 year anniversary
- 20 6 Weeks Traveling Around: Italy, Austria, Budapest, Paris
- 21 Credit card CHIP in Europe
- 22 Can I Get a US Credit Card with a Chip like They Use in Europe?
- 23 France Cities for a 14 Day Winter Trip?
- 24 Help with Sept. itinerary going north from Dublin
- 25 How to get from Nice to Cinque Terre by train