My wife and I are interesting in arranging a hiking trip this summer in the Swiss Alps. Ideally we'd like to hike from inn-to-inn during the day. And we'd prefer to do this by ourselves (no guide), although we'd love to somehow figure out a way to send our luggage in a car while we hiked.
So Fodorites....is there a good place to start focusing my efforts? A string of Alpine huts or perhaps a good town to start from?
Two years ago in Italy we encountered a German couple that was doing a similar thing in Italy. They had arranged with a company to transport their luggage when they went hiking, so it would be waiting for them at the hotel when they arrived. They told us this was common in Europe, and to us it looked like an awesome trip.
An outfit that could enable us to easily make this happen? We're not looking for an all-inclusive trip. We're hoping to rent these inns ourselves and just hike at our own pace. We're both in excellent shape, and grew up deep in the Rockies so we are very comfortable in the mountains. We're pretty flexible on price, so we would consider pricey and cheap accommodations.
This is for a 10 day trip (including travel from NYC), so ideally we're looking for a circuit where we could hit a few various inns over the course of a pretty quick trip.
Hiking inn-to-inn in Swiss Alps without a guide. Where to start looking?
- 1 Any experience with Chateau des Monthairons (Dieue-sur-Meuse near Verdun)?
- 2 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 3 Apartment in Seville
- 4 Help with Provence and French Riviera
- 5 private tour from cruise port in Naples
- 6 Just Returned from a Gate 1 Danube River Cruise
- 7 Spain and Portugal Itinerary 2 Week Vacation Help
- 8 10 days in Andalusia in Feb 2014 - best home base
- 9 Which tour company would be best?
- 10 Irish Pub Arrival Time ?
- 11 Venice - another trip report (deja vu all over again)
- 12 Venice - Verona - Padova - Vienna Trip Report
- 13 Germany and Italy
- 14 day trips from Stuttgart
- 15 Hotels in Sorrento
- 16 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 17 Bathrooms Along This Itinerary (Day in Rome)
- 18 two weeks in Croatia Bosnia and Montenegro
- 19 Airport shuttle from CDG to Paris
- 20 Need a focus/theme for trip
- 21 Must-do Day Trips from London
- 22 EU Rule On Olive Oil Roils Europe!
- 23 When to exchange US dollars to Euros
- 24 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 25 May 24, 2013. How to avoid lines in Paris, and other observations