I’ve been on the forums for a number of years and many of you probably know that I truly love learning languages. English and French are by far my best two languages as I use both on a daily basis for all sorts of business and social transactions. I manage simple conversations in Spanish and I follow the news reasonably well, although I’m feeling a bit rusty these days. Dutch I’ve studied full-on for about a year-and-a-half, I’m reaching a point where I follow a fair amount of a newscast, although I find shows for kids (such as one newscast for kids, Jeugdjournaal) in standard Dutch I do much better with.
I still want to improve on the languages I’ve reached a certain level of competency in; however I’m toying with the idea of adding another language for future European trips. German, Italian and Portuguese come to mind. German I took one semester of about 20 years ago; basic stuff, a fair amount of which is forgotten. One reason I chose to learn Dutch over German is because I remember people bemoaning how hard German is; German has cases, while Dutch doesn’t use them all that much anymore. German has 3 genders, Dutch has two but one of these is used much less than the other.
My question is this: for those of you who have tried German. I understand that mastering the grammar and nuances of the language probably takes a long time (heck in French & English, I’m still learning vocabulary words), but how long did you find it took you to reach a level where you could be understood by and understand German speakers in ordinary polite conversation? Even though the two languages have differences, my relative success in Dutch (even though I've got a long way to go there yet!) is giving me confidence that I might have success in German as well.
Best wishes, Daniel
How Challenging Did You Find German to Learn?
- 1 First night after arriving in Milan
- 2 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 3 Help with Itinerary for Marseille/Provence trip in September
- 4 London Itinerary Advice 6-10 September
- 5 Motor Home North Italy Route Suggestions
- 6 Florence Day Trip to Sienna: should we stop along the way? Where?
- 7 Eiffel tower tickets- June8-15 will I need to queue?
- 8 Which tour company would be best?
- 9 France by rail or car?
- 10 Planning my days in Paris
- 11 Suggestions for Istanbul Stayover
- 12 Cinque Terre or Lake Como August - 3 nights
- 13 Otherchelebi and others in Istanbul
- 14 New & Improved 2 Week Honeymoon Itinerary Italy
- 15 Rome weather forecast right now-is anyone there?
- 16 Rome, Florence, Sorrento in 1 week
- 17 ? re hotels in 5 terre
- 18 Sketches from Italy: Rome, Ischia and Frascati
- 19 London at Xmas
- 20 best place to get euros for Ireland trip
- 21 Solo in Sicily - April 2013
- 22 Itinerary suggestions please: Munich, Ortisei and ???
- 23 Alsace question. Itterswiller or Riquewihr, where to stay?
- 24 2 days in Venice- where to stay –What to do- Help please!
- 25 French Riviera and Italy 3 weeks - need itinerary help and suggestions