I'm new here. I've just booked my flights for the last week of March. I'm flying into Venice and out of Rome. I'd love some recommendations for itineraries that suit my interests. We will have 8 full days plus a half day on our day of arrival (landing in Venice @ 2pm). We were thinking Venice -> Florence and/or Surrounding Tuscany Region -> Rome.
Note: I'm not super stressed about seeing the "famous sights" and/or every single historical museum. Please don't ask me why. The colosseum seems cool and all but it doesn't get me that excited. I would be miserable and bored waiting in a line for a museum or sight everyday-- seeing one is fine, seeing all of them isn't necessary for me. I'd love to try and see a more authentic side ( and yes I understand that I am visiting highly touristy and visited areas....I fear I will get myself in trouble for saying this so please--don't jump down my throat, thanks). What I mean is that I am from NYC and I generally am more fascinated by natural landscape, food, culture, and historic architecture-- things that will make me feel like I am actually in a different place. I want to walk around, eat a lot of food, and visit local shops.
I've considered bypassing Rome other than the one night stayover before our flight (also because it will be Easter weekend and I've heard it will be a crazy time) and trying to see some more southern areas...but that seems like it might be a stretch.
Thoughts and recommendations?
Itinerary recommendations for 8 full days in Italy?
- 1 First Timer - Itinerary Help - Europe tour for 22 days
- 2 France and Italy for wedding and honeymoon
- 3 See northern lights,end of 2013: Norway/Sweden/Finland
- 4 France by rail or car?
- 5 Berlin Excursion from our ship...
- 6 Help needed with ratp site for Paris bus and metro
- 7 Tool for comparing train cost with and without Eurail
- 8 Anyone used Rive Gauche Rive Droit, or worked with William Royer?
- 9 London at Xmas
- 10 Do I Need A Visa for London?
- 11 Wife's first trip to Europe. Set on Paris & Rome, Need 3rd destination?
- 12 Bank of England Museum
- 13 Need restaurant suggestions for Chipping Camden!
- 14 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 15 separate beds in Frankfurt and Munich
- 16 Eiffel tower tickets- June8-15 will I need to queue?
- 17 Motor Home North Italy Route Suggestions
- 18 France bed and breakfasts and restaurants in Provence, Vaison La Romaine, Uzès, Paris
- 19 East coast trains
- 20 Florence Day Trip to Sienna: should we stop along the way? Where?
- 21 London Itinerary Advice 6-10 September
- 22 Which tour company would be best?
- 23 First night after arriving in Milan
- 24 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 25 Help with Itinerary for Marseille/Provence trip in September