I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)
- 1 Rome weather forecast right now-is anyone there?
- 2 2 Week Italy Honeymoon Itinerary Review
- 3 charming small French city for weeklong stay?
- 4 jungfraujoch mid june
- 5 Turkey to Greece: Rental Car ?s
- 6 Scotland. Cawdor Castle , Inverness
- 7 Train from London to Edinburgh
- 8 I Need To Vent!
- 9 Beatiful place near Aix-en-Provence or not too far from St Paul de Vence
- 10 Balloon rides in Swiss
- 11 Anyone heard of or used a hotel booking site called Olotels?
- 12 6 Weeks Traveling Around: Italy, Austria, Budapest, Paris
- 13 car rental agency near train station in Firenze
- 14 Lake Como & Venice - must sees, dos and eats??
- 15 Burano - best day of week to visit
- 16 Munich Hotels near train station downtown
- 17 Vienna State Opera - possible for adult and child to switch seats?
- 18 Rome Itineray - I've done most of my homework; Needs fine tuning!
- 19 Should We Do Segovia With only 2 1/2 Days in Madrid?
- 20 Accommodation in Lauterbrunnen
- 21 Ghent Alterpiece Moved?
- 22 Help with Sept. itinerary going north from Dublin
- 23 Christmas in the Netherlands: David Sadaris reads "6 to 8 Black Men"
- 24 What the heck- purchased italian train tickets for wrong date!
- 25 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy