I've been digging through the archives and thought I'd consolidate some of the excellent questions/info I've found on this site.
I'm planning on going to Poland/Ukraine and other Eastern European countries next June, for Euro 2012. We have tickets to a match in Kiev (Kyiv) on June 19, and would like to be in the city for the Finals on July 1. This gives us about 1.5 weeks to play with.
We're having difficulty determining the following:
a) How to fly cheaply into Kiev
b) What other cities to visit. I would like to hit up Bratislava, and perhaps swing down through Slovenia and Croatia. I have been to Vienna and Budapest before, but am not against returning.
c) Depending on the answer to b), what is the best way to get around? Most people think night trains, but they can be upwards of 16 hrs, which seems a touch extreme. Would renting a car from just inside the Ukrainian border and driving to Kiev and back to the rental city, and then doing trains the rest of the way be worthwhile, or just a huge waste of time/effort?
Sorry for the verbal barfing of ideas in my head. I've been looking at maps and Fodor forums and googling airlines (Wizz Air, etc) for about 8 hrs and can't find any concrete solutions.
Cheers in advance
Kiev (Kyiv) and surrounding cities - where to go (Euro 2012)
- 1 Must-do Day Trips from London
- 2 Apartment in Seville
- 3 Venice - Verona - Padova - Vienna Trip Report
- 4 Spain and Portugal Itinerary 2 Week Vacation Help
- 5 private tour from cruise port in Naples
- 6 When to exchange US dollars to Euros
- 7 January 29 - March 27, 2014
- 8 ATMs in Prague, Vienna for Bank of America?
- 9 Help! Creating a Budget for my DS Graduation Trip to Europe
- 10 Ovington Square Flat
- 11 A few questions about the Amalfi Coast (in May)
- 12 Istanbul Logistics Help
- 13 Apartment Rental Website for Scotland?
- 14 In Venice then Wengen - Urgent help to choose Apt + Train ticket Sold Out
- 15 My First Trip to Provence and Paris...Loved!!!
- 16 how much time in York, Edinburgh, etc?
- 17 jungfraujoch mid june
- 18 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 19 Hotels in Sorrento
- 20 2001: A Maitaitom Italian Odyssey - "The Lost Trip Report"
- 21 Two weeks in Paris, Provence, and the French Riviera
- 22 Germany with 6 month old.
- 23 Day trip to Capri
- 24 Southeast England - more planning ?
- 25 Barcelona neighborhoods and hotels