An 11 November Remembrance Day thought for all who visit the countryside of western Europe - many village churchyards, particularly in those areas which were under the paths of the main WWII Allied bomber streams, have lone graves of aircrew which are presumably rarely visited compared with designated war cemeteries. Earlier this year I visited one such village in eastern France which has the grave of an RAF Lancaster bomber crew, the only Australian among them the boyfriend of a now 90 years old aunt. After my visit I obtained from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission a spreadsheet of other non war cemetery graves in that area (Haute Marne) and regret not having known that very close by is another village with the grave of a Lancaster crew including as it happens another lone Australian. Checking for and seeking out some of these war graves as we go about our travels in our much more fortunate lives would not only add another dimension to our individual travel experiences, but more importantly help to preserve the memories of those young men who were destined never to set foot on European soil but who remain there forever.
'Non war cemetery' Allied war graves in France (and elsewhere)
- 1 Vatican Guided Tours Questions
- 2 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 3 Beaune Hotel or B&B Recommendation Please
- 4 Paris Museum Pass--Where best for us to purchase?
- 5 Family Trip in July - General Guidance Would be Appreciated
- 6 Scotland Itinerary getting better, still needs your expertise!
- 7 Tolls on Grossglockner Alpine Road
- 8 2 weeks in Slovenia and Croatia--Need help planning
- 9 Must-do Day Trips from London
- 10 Northern Italy
- 11 Home base in Provence in July
- 12 Help with Provence and French Riviera
- 13 In Venice then Wengen - Urgent help to choose Apt + Train ticket Sold Out
- 14 Paris Itinerary Advice - September 2013
- 15 Advance Eurostar Tickets
- 16 Need help in deciding!! Trip in end of July
- 17 how much time in York, Edinburgh, etc?
- 18 Paris - Apartment on Rue Volta, 3rd arr?
- 19 Traveling with a guide in Turkey
- 20 Drive or Train ?? - Lausanne-Interlaken-Zurich
- 21 Left Luggage in Brighton, UK
- 22 browsing homes for sale in Kent
- 23 Best Time of Day to Tour Windsor Castle
- 24 Prague Itinerary
- 25 Moving to Spain