We have just completed a self-tour of Portugal for a month in October. Experienced travelers, but 71 years of age. There were several questions we had and here are the answers if they are helpful to anyone else: 1. Driving via rental cars is fairly safe and easy. Both Eurocar and Guerin were fine. We had no GPS nor cell' 'phone, but roads are well marked and simple except in cities. We got first car in Porto, drove it a week or so, left it in Lisbon, got a different car a week later and made the loop via the Algarve and Evora and returned it to Lisbon. Local drivers are okay, but drive very fast (often 100+ mph). 2. Reservations are not essential in October, but are helpful. If you plan on B/B type lodging be sure to enquire if parking is available and at hand. Every place we stayed was clean, friendly, and fun...just use common sense. 3. EasyJet is cheap and simple. 4. We met a young Portuguese woman graduate student in a street market and asked her to spend a few days with us for translation and guiding. Her name is Patricia Gamboa and she is to be highly recommended. Although not a professional guide, she is hard-working, serious, enthusiastic and with perfect English skills. At our urging, she is offering her services to travelers. We can provide contact information if desired (from email@example.com). 5. The Duoro Valley is all it is said to be..and more. Kind wishes. Old Fogey Pair
Portugal in October self-tour
- 1 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 2 Hilton's in Vienna and Budapest
- 3 Edinburgh Restaurants
- 4 Paris Budget Hotel-Sept 2013 (Single; 100 Euros/night)
- 5 Language Immersion Courses in France
- 6 In Nice solo between June 17 - 22 anyone else going to be there?
- 7 Istanbul Hotels
- 8 Loire Valley & Brittany - recommendations?
- 9 Driving in Genoa
- 10 Berlin Hotels
- 11 best place to get euros for Ireland trip
- 12 Barcelona Habitat Apartments Eixemple Questions
- 13 York Food and Drink Festival
- 14 Paris metro
- 15 Venice - another trip report (deja vu all over again)
- 16 2 weeks of travel starting in Paris
- 17 Rome: Avoiding the long Colosseum ticket line/queue: Palatine Hill ticket office locations
- 18 Should We Do Segovia With only 2 1/2 Days in Madrid?
- 19 Bathrooms Along This Itinerary (Day in Rome)
- 20 Cuenca or Toledo
- 21 Air show in Paris, what to expect
- 22 If you could go anywhere in Italy......
- 23 Backpacking through Europe
- 24 RHK's heading to Europe
- 25 Tennyson Home