I've already posted an update on the pousadas we stayed in and our experience on their toll roads.
I wanted to mention two restos we really enjoyed. The first is relatively well-known, Maria do Mer in Nazaré. We read about it in Geo (a French travel guide); they rated it a
It was overall, a very pleasant evening. The service tended to be a bit slow but that didn't seem to matter to anyone. Our neighbours had the fish stew; it looked incredible. I had the grilled cod and my wife the shrimp, both meals were very good. There is a Maria (and her daughters) and she is everywhere. She speaks English French and of course Portuguese. At the end of our meal (huge portions by the way), she offered us a ginjinha.
The second was in Evora, Restaurat Piri-piri. We lived near Little Portugal in Toronto and now live near the Portuguese community in Montreal and love their chicken; we didn't see much though during our trip. We stumbled across this place our last night and decided to go in. The food was good (my steak was in a sauce I couldn't stop eating, cream, beer coffee, and god knows what else) but what struck us was the friendliness of the staff / family. There seemed to be a son, his parents and his grandmother in the kitchen. We stopped by after the meal to thank them and the grandmother gave my wife a big hug !
Portugal vacation - restaurants
- 1 Backpacking through Europe
- 2 Which tour company would be best?
- 3 If you could go anywhere in Italy......
- 4 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 5 Ireland's Murphy's Pub's
- 6 I Need To Vent!
- 7 Solo in Sicily - April 2013
- 8 10 day honeymoon in Italy in Nov
- 9 Spain Pyrenees overnight stopover Help needed with route?
- 10 Slovenia/Northern Croatia in mid-August - hotel and other advice?
- 11 Balkans in 4 weeks - Feasible itinerary?
- 12 Netherland -> belgium -> Germany (Rhine Valley)
- 13 UK in the Fall: Trip Suggestions
- 14 Travel witha bike between Ventimiglia and Genova
- 15 Where to eat and visit in Barcelona + Venice June 2013
- 16 In Nice solo between June 17 - 22 anyone else going to be there?
- 17 Itinerary suggestions please: Munich, Ortisei and ???
- 18 Air show in Paris, what to expect
- 19 London Itinerary Advice 6-10 September
- 20 CIE Tours of Ireland - any opinions?
- 21 2 days in Frankfurt - where to stay -what to do - or straight to Paris
- 22 Tales from Venice, Bologna, Pienza and Rome
- 23 Flying from New York City to Cinque Terre, Italy
- 24 Last monte Paris apartment
- 25 MILAN BUS STATION / MILAN CENTRALE RR - Correct Station?