I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about a trip to the UK.
My situation is this- I am a United States citizen with a valid passport, but in 2012 I overstayed my visa-free three months in the Schengen area by one month. I exited the Schengen area on December 31st, 2012, and am currently outside the EU visiting family. I received a ban on re-entering the Schengen area for 6 months in the mail and they photocopied my ticket and passport as I was leaving, but I have nothing on my passport aside from the entrance and exit stamps that show the dates.
I am going to be returning to the US soon, and I was wondering whether it would be possible to stay in England for a week or so as a tourist on my way home. I know that US citizens can stay for 6 months without a visa, but I have also heard that the UK has one of the most strict border controls in the world.
Since England is not a Schengen country, would my overstay be an important issue? I could show them proof that I have money/a hotel for my stay in London and a return ticket to the US, but I am wary of buying a return ticket for a week after my arrival in London if they end up denying me entrance, as I would then have to purchase yet another ticket home.
I know that it will all depend on the officer I run into, but I have never been to England before and have not experienced their border patrols. I was wondering if you think it is likely that I would be denied entrance.
Question About Entering the UK
- 1 Savona - San Remo - where to spend the night?
- 2 1st, 6th or 7th in Paris
- 3 portugal
- 4 12 days, 3 couples, one week in London Sept 2013
- 5 Cell Phone for Italy travel
- 6 I Need To Vent!
- 7 Italy-Locarno or Stresa
- 8 6.5 hour layover in Lisbon, Portugal
- 9 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 10 Zurich to Montreux to Paris round trip - drive or train??
- 11 Venice experts--the apartment in Castello or the one in Canareggio
- 12 2 weeks in Copenhagen-Helsinki-Stockholm
- 13 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 14 A chacun son goût
- 15 Brive - drop off point for Avis
- 16 Am I in an unsafe Parisian neighborhood?
- 17 Has anyone rented an apartment in Venice for 2-4 weeks?
- 18 Seville Cordoba and Grananda
- 19 Good Base for Costa Brava Spain
- 20 Help with itenerary
- 21 Train from Civitavecchia port to Rome
- 22 Swiss visit - Mürren for Berner Oberland and Chur? Sargans? for Engadin hub
- 23 Brown Bear sites Slovenia
- 24 train from Krakow, Poland to Venice, Italy
- 25 Venice Hotel near Cruise Terminal