We usually drive around Europe, which gives us flexibility to choose where to stop and for how long. However later this year we are contemplating a short add-on to a tour. Our tour finishes at Frankfurt, and we want to visit friends in Berlin. For a change we think it would be nice to do it by rail rather than driving. Bahn.de shows 2 rail routes between Frankfurt and Berlin, one via Hannover and one via Leipzig. That's fine - we could make it a round trip. We can also extend the Leipzig option to Dresden and go on to Berlin from there. The question is: if we wanted to break any of these journeys by staying overnight somewhere, what places would best entertain 2 people who enjoy history, characterful and interesting "old towns", and some natural beauty? Hannover? Leipzig? Dresden? Any other places on the rail route between, e.g. Erfurt, Eisanach, Meissen? Grateful for your advice.
Stopovers - Frankfurt to Berlin
- 1 Barcelona + Venice Honeymoon in June
- 2 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 3 London at Xmas
- 4 UK Trip, Final Chapter
- 5 Barcelona neighborhoods and hotels
- 6 Berchtesgaden & Salzburg
- 7 See northern lights,end of 2013: Norway/Sweden/Finland
- 8 Travel to Italy with kids...where to stay
- 9 Hotel question...first time to Paris!
- 10 BRITISH ISLES---GLOBUS TOURS
- 11 Motor Home North Italy Route Suggestions
- 12 Day trip from The Hague to Brussels or Bruges - possible?
- 13 Discount retail liquor stores - Barcelona or Madrid, Spain areas
- 14 Club Quarters near Trafalgar Square
- 15 Scavi -- Photocopy of ID Sufficient?
- 16 Barcelona - eat, drink, dance.
- 17 Normandy on our own?
- 18 Traveling to the Netherlands with my 10 year old daughter
- 19 Train from Barcelona to Figueras, and Figueras to Perpignan
- 20 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 21 France by rail or car?
- 22 Wife's first trip to Europe. Set on Paris & Rome, Need 3rd destination?
- 23 Venice - Verona - Padova - Vienna Trip Report
- 24 My First Trip to Provence and Paris...Loved!!!
- 25 Paris May 23, 2013. What should I wear in Paris?