I have finally made plans for what I think will be a wonderful holiday in Europe and would appreciate your thoughts on the middle section.
The itinery is as follows:
Fly from Australia to Venice arriving mid afternoon and stay for 7 nights in an apartment (La Rosa de Venezia). Booked and confirmed.
Fly Venice to Geneva in Switzerland arriving again in the afternoon, pick up a car and drive to Chamonix (?) for overnight and to arrive in Zermatt the next day. The flights are booked and this night is open allowing for delays and for the stress of driving on the wrong side of the road ! The car hire is a must, my hubby doesnt want to use trains and it is his only request for the holiday.
I have booked 2 nights in Zermatt, 3 in Lauterbrunnen and then 2 in Weggis. These can be changed if necessary). We have been to Lucerne and Zurich briefly before. Switzerland is all about the scenery this time. Is this a reasonable schedule?
From there I have a week open to drive to Belguim. I was thinking of going through Luxembourg and onto the Netherlands (Eindhoven, Arnhem for war history sites for hubby) and across to Belgium from there. We have been to Amsterdam before and have no real desire to go back.
I have booked 3 nights in Bruge to use as a base and 2 in Brussels. Leave car on arrival in Brussels.
I have plans to book the Thalys train from Brussels to Paris (cant do yet >90 days) and have booked and confirmed an apartment in Paris near the Louvre for a week.
From there its a stop over in Dubai for 4 nights and back home to Australia. All up its just short of 6 weeks including flights.
Does anyone have any suggestions for the middle driving week? I havent found a lot about Luxembourg on the net but Trier in Germany doesnt look too far out of the way and could be interesting. Is is worth visiting Lichtenstein for a night or two after Weggis and before heading north?
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
Suggestions please -fine tuning 5 weeks in Europe
- 1 Train from London to Edinburgh
- 2 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 3 Tales from Venice, Bologna, Pienza and Rome
- 4 Shopping in France for the larger than average...
- 5 Ireland - Doolin Ennis Dingle Kenmare Adare
- 6 Solo Female First Time Traveler - Scared to Death
- 7 Romania Apartment List
- 8 Moonliner bus question - can you help please?
- 9 1st time in Europe - Please critique our itinerary
- 10 2 Week Italy Honeymoon Itinerary Review
- 11 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 12 Transportation from Landshut to Munich Airport?
- 13 Seems to me this forum is a lot less active than in years past....
- 14 American Citizen Buying a Home in Spain
- 15 Moonliner bus question - can someone help please?
- 16 Where can we go from Genoa for three days
- 17 Athens licensed tour guide
- 18 Eurostar Italy train to Florence fro Milan's Malpensa Airport
- 19 Rome's night of the museums 18 May 2013
- 20 Flight check in at Swiss Train stations
- 21 Train from Naples to Sorrento
- 22 En Route from Istanbul to Budepest
- 23 Norway experts needed.
- 24 If you had 7 days for Romantic Road..What would you do
- 25 Heathrow to Limehouse