My family (Wife, Daughter 1 - Age 2, Daughter 2 - Age 1) and I are planning a 4 day trip to Zurich and nearby areas accessible by public transport. I am very confused by all the options available as far as rail passes go. I have a few questions and will appreciate and help/guidance:
1. Do my daughters need separate passes?
2. I have read that it is possible to purchase a group pass (with 2 to 5 names listed on it) for a discount - does this apply to my situation, will I need to list all four of us on the pass, and where do I go buy this?
3. I have read that there is not a substantial difference between the 1st & 2nd class experiences (especially not one that justifies the difference is cost) - my question here is, if I buy a 2nd class pass, can I upgrade select journeys for an additional cost to first class? How would this work?
A couple of unrelated questions around travel in Switzerland in general:
1. I am hoping to carry two small strollers (umbrella type) and two medium size back packs (with all of the baby food, diapers etc.) - Is this going to be an issue with booking 2nd class tickets?
2. Will we need to carry car seats with us (in the off chance that we need to hail a cab etc.) or do taxis have special permits that will allow us to ride in taxis without car seats for the babies?
As you may have gathered, a primary objective is to make the vacation fun for the entire family including the two young ones. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Switzerland Rail Passes
- 1 Germany and Italy
- 2 Which tour company would be best?
- 3 Hotel question...first time to Paris!
- 4 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 5 2 days in Venice- where to stay –What to do- Help please!
- 6 Moonliner bus question - can someone help please?
- 7 Hot Air Balloon crash in Cappadocia kills two, injures twenty-three
- 8 Barcelona - eat, drink, dance.
- 9 Changing of the Guard
- 10 Apartment Rental Website for Scotland?
- 11 Gatwick Express 5 for 3 -- available at Victoria station or only online?
- 12 Best way to get from Malaga to Gibraltar to Ceuta, Morocco?
- 13 "Our Small Adventure" an Ongoing Paris Trip Report
- 14 Traveling to the Netherlands with my 10 year old daughter
- 15 Berchtesgaden & Salzburg
- 16 Car rental
- 17 Essen and Nordrhein-Westfalen
- 18 UK Trip, Final Chapter
- 19 First Timer - Itinerary Help - Europe tour for 22 days
- 20 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 21 Club Quarters near Trafalgar Square
- 22 Please, assure me that Turkey is safe...
- 23 Bathrooms Along This Itinerary (Day in Rome)
- 24 Scavi -- Photocopy of ID Sufficient?
- 25 FCO to Fast Train and Best way to travel back from Naples to Rome