I am currently pregnant with our first child (due in April) and my husband and I are starting to think about a week long trip with our then 3 month old child to somewhere in western Europe that is a direct flight from Chicago.
A few potential destinations (we would only visit 1 country) we were thinking about were Ireland (driving along the western coast), Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Portugal, England (few days in London, then the Cotswolds or thereabouts), or France (Paris and Normandy). If I hadn't just spent 8 days in Holland last year, that would have been my top choice!
A few questions - should we bring a stroller, or would a baby carrier be sufficient? If we bring our stroller, it has a removable bassinet, that our baby could sleep in - while on the road, as well as at night. Would 2 cities in 8 days be too much with a young baby? We tend to travel at a faster pace (the sad thing about not getting too much vacation time), so I think 8 days in one location would be too much for us. However, we understand that the pace will be dictated by our child. We tend to be outdoorsy and low key (hiking, taking photos, happy eating at a local hole in the wall, staying at budget places). Should we opt for staying in an apartment, or go for a hotel?
This is all theoretical trip planning and we'll pull the trigger after the little one is born, assuming everything goes smoothly and whatnot!
I will do research into the different places (we've been to Ireland, I used to live in London, been to Paris), but wanted to get your general thoughts on traveling with a young one.
Thoughts on travel with an infant (3 months old)
- 1 Help! Creating a Budget for my DS Graduation Trip to Europe
- 2 Stay and Visit Italy/Amalfi and Grand Hotel Ischia Lido - Ischia
- 3 Which tour company would be best?
- 4 How to make a phone call from a pay phone in London to Germany
- 5 How Long For Santorini?
- 6 Best area for wine and which one?
- 7 Best castle for 7 and 9 year old boys
- 8 Spain and Portugal Itinerary 2 Week Vacation Help
- 9 Help me choose places to visit in Italy
- 10 Backpacking for the first time in 2014
- 11 Apartment Rental Website for Scotland?
- 12 Bavaria and Alpine Itinerary
- 13 Just Returned from a Gate 1 Danube River Cruise
- 14 Help with Provence and French Riviera
- 15 Istanbul - Topkapi book recommendation?
- 16 private tour from cruise port in Naples
- 17 Germany with 6 month old.
- 18 France by rail or car?
- 19 10 days in Andalusia in Feb 2014 - best home base
- 20 Iwan2go went...to Prague, Salzburg, Vienna and Paris
- 21 Driving Napflio/Mystras and Mystras/Olympia AND Private Guides
- 22 Airport shuttle from CDG to Paris
- 23 Bathrooms Along This Itinerary (Day in Rome)
- 24 Need a focus/theme for trip
- 25 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG