I am currently pregnant with our first child (due in April) and my husband and I are starting to think about a week long trip with our then 3 month old child to somewhere in western Europe that is a direct flight from Chicago.
A few potential destinations (we would only visit 1 country) we were thinking about were Ireland (driving along the western coast), Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Portugal, England (few days in London, then the Cotswolds or thereabouts), or France (Paris and Normandy). If I hadn't just spent 8 days in Holland last year, that would have been my top choice!
A few questions - should we bring a stroller, or would a baby carrier be sufficient? If we bring our stroller, it has a removable bassinet, that our baby could sleep in - while on the road, as well as at night. Would 2 cities in 8 days be too much with a young baby? We tend to travel at a faster pace (the sad thing about not getting too much vacation time), so I think 8 days in one location would be too much for us. However, we understand that the pace will be dictated by our child. We tend to be outdoorsy and low key (hiking, taking photos, happy eating at a local hole in the wall, staying at budget places). Should we opt for staying in an apartment, or go for a hotel?
This is all theoretical trip planning and we'll pull the trigger after the little one is born, assuming everything goes smoothly and whatnot!
I will do research into the different places (we've been to Ireland, I used to live in London, been to Paris), but wanted to get your general thoughts on traveling with a young one.
Thoughts on travel with an infant (3 months old)
- 1 What is the best food in France?
- 2 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 3 Venice experts--the apartment in Castello or the one in Canareggio
- 4 Venice - getting to see inside the Arsenale.
- 5 Help with Greece+Istanbul Itinerary
- 6 Best area to visit in Switzerland during October first or second week
- 7 Visit to Russia - Money
- 8 Bathrooms Along This Itinerary (Day in Rome)
- 9 Backpacking through Europe
- 10 Barcelona experts PLEASE pick which of these 2,apartments I should rent
- 11 Quaint/family run place in Nuremberg?
- 12 One way car rental Lisbon to Bordeaux
- 13 Hilton's in Vienna and Budapest
- 14 Visa to TURKEY
- 15 UK Trip Report So Far....
- 16 Istanbul Hotels
- 17 Santorini-Nafplio-Delphi-Athens Help
- 18 France and Italy for wedding and honeymoon
- 19 Eiffel tower tickets- June8-15 will I need to queue?
- 20 Paris metro
- 21 Hiking in Germany/Innsbruck/Salzburg and where else?
- 22 Berlin Hotels
- 23 ferry to Harwich
- 24 If you could go anywhere in Italy......
- 25 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy