I am a new "Forodorite", and am enjoying reading all the great travel info supplied by so many! Love the driving itinerary from StuDudley. I am now suffering from information overload! My husband and I are traveling to Florence the last 2 weeks of May 2013. I thought I had our trip figured out, until I joined Fodor's Travel Forum! After reading all these excellent ideas and thoughts, perhaps we should modify our plans somewhat.
We had planned on 6 nights in Florence (taking a day trip to Lucca during that time), which would give us 4 full days for Florence. Then we drive down to Montalcino, staying for 2 nights. Should we visit Siena as we head down to Montalcino, or should we overnight in Siena? I read that Siena is super packed during the day, but that it should be experienced later in the day and in the evening..... aaarhg! Decisions! Should we stay in Montalcino longer? Is Pienze a better place to stay? We then drive up to San Gimignano for 2 nights; what exploring ideas are there from San Gimi? After San Gimi, we were planning 3 nights in the Cinque Terre (town of Rio Maggiore). Then home . If we cover all that we want in Florence after 3 days, we could obviously do another day trip from there (eg. Siena?) Should we try to see Pisa?
We do not want to spend all our time in the car, charging around the Tuscan countryside trying to see it all; we also want some on-foot town exploring time. The Abbey in Sant'Antimo is a must-see on our list. Zoecat mentioned various towns further south of Pienza - they sound beautiful, but I am afraid that is too much. Just means we'll have to come back! StuDudley - would your friends consider renting out their house - we are neat, clean and do not smoke !
Any ideas and suggestions would be most appreciated! We're in good shape and like to hike and walk .
Traveling to Florence and Tuscany 2 weeks in May
- 1 3 LADIES - NAXOS OR PAROS AS BASE FOR 7 DAYS
- 2 Edinburgh
- 3 Vacation rental in Provence
- 4 Which tour company would be best?
- 5 Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Fuessen - Last Bus
- 6 2 weeks in Copenhagen-Helsinki-Stockholm
- 7 Swiss visit - Mürren for Berner Oberland and Chur? Sargans? for Engadin hub
- 8 Best area to visit in Switzerland during October first or second week
- 9 1st, 6th or 7th in Paris
- 10 large supermarket in Munich - where?
- 11 Battlefield Tour
- 12 Schiphol to cruise port - luggage problem
- 13 Netherland -> Belgium -> West Germany for 18 days
- 14 France Cities for a 14 Day Winter Trip?
- 15 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 16 Am I in an unsafe Parisian neighborhood?
- 17 Credit card CHIP in Europe
- 18 Train from London to Edinburgh
- 19 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 20 Renting an apartment in Edinburgh
- 21 Help with Itinerary for Marseille/Provence trip in September
- 22 Help needed on 3 week itinerary to Croatia and Slovenia
- 23 Venice Hotel near Cruise Terminal
- 24 Chip-and-PIN cards again
- 25 Turkish Itinerary suggestions?