My wife and I are used to travelling, and did pretty well after getting married. We always traveled on a shoestring staying in Hostels and providing our own wandering tours of cities by using guide books. We have been to Mexico (Oaxaca in '04) and in S. America, Argentina, Chile, Peru and Uruguay, but we haven't been to Central America. Now that we're older and since we've a kid, we haven't had the chance to get out of the country. Now that we're planning a new adventure, we're at a bit of a loss about how to go about it. We're planning on bringing the boy and hope to expose his little 3 year old mind to a bit more of the world. Obviously our style of travel is going to have to change. He doesn't yet have the endurance to keep up with my wife's walk all day and see/do everything we possibly can. He might do ok in museums as long as there aren't a whole lot of them. I worry a little about him getting sick. I doubt we would be happy with a resort style vacation, but that is what it might come down to. Right now, we're taking him on local weekend mini-trips to see how he would do, but we still rely on our car to get around. Something that might or might not be practical depending on where in Central America we end up going, I guess. We've only gone on buses and taxis on our trips, never bothering to rent a car. I'm only good for about half a day carrying him around on my shoulders. My wife definitely wants to practice her Spanish and maybe pick up some local art to share with the Spanish classes she teaches. I don't have very many needs, but I do enjoy technical museums or Engineering / Architecture attractions. I haven't found anything in C.A. that trips those interests other than the Panama Canal.
So, with that long winded introduction, does anyone have advice for us? I guess we're not your usual travelers, but I'm not sure what kind of travelers we are now. I think we need to plan conservative and, if things go well, build from there. We are planning 2 weeks in late May with not much luggage. We considering Guatamala, Costa Rica, or Panama currently, but we're not gaining much traction on planning the trip.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Travelling in C.A. with a toddler?
- 1 Cancun day trips
- 2 How much cash to bring to Belize?
- 3 Quick CR Trip Report
- 4 Just back from Puerto Vallarta
- 5 Notorized Letter of Consent
- 6 4 days before heading to Sandos Playacar
- 7 Tequila Visit, Jalisco
- 8 3rd CR trip suggestions please...
- 9 Puerto Vallarta Mayan Palace
- 10 Which would you recommend? Four Seasons Punta Mita OR Four Seasons Nevis?
- 11 Can u recommend a lux AI in PDC or Riviera Maya?
- 12 Do I need a permission letter to travel alone with my minor niece?
- 13 help blue bay grand vs sandos riviera
- 14 Last Minute Puerto Vallarta
- 15 Help ! - FRAUD concern, Mayan Palace/Cancun Bay Tours, Riviera Maya
- 16 CANCUN: Sandos Caracol Beach Resort & Spa, Riviera Maya
- 17 Where to stay on Mayan riviera?
- 18 Advice on trip to Costa Rica for myself and three late teenagers
- 19 Rental cars $s for Panama
- 20 Grand Mayan Palace - Nuevo Vallarta
- 21 Driving in Mexico
- 22 Sandos Playacar Beach Resort Cancun Mexico
- 23 After Tikal... suggestions?
- 24 2013 GTG - Bosque del Cabo, Costa Rica
- 25 Three weeks in August 2011 - trip report