Search

monument valley

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2021, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
monument valley

Will travel from Phoenix to Santa FE NM by car. Is stopping at Monument Valley for one night worth the time?

Thanks
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 09:06 AM

Monument Valley would be worth a detour, not sure if an overnight would be necessary. For context, my husband liked to say that I would travel any distance to look at a pile of rocks. There are obviously many other attractions between Phoenix and Santa Fe, perhaps you’ve already traveled through the area and seen some of those.
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 09:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Drive through it and maybe make 2 or 3 stops but spend the night in Gallup near the interstate. Albuquerque is worth a stop on the way to Santa Fe on your second day.
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 09:47 AM

I think so. But make sure it really is open for tours or drive through. If it's closed, then it probably isn't worth high lodging prices in the immediate area, or even a detour.

The cities in the immediate area such as Kayenta and Tuba City aren't that nice. If you aren't going to be able to visit (given the high corona rates in the Navajo Nation) I would focus on other places to visit between Phoenix and Santa Fe. Depending on the month and the rest of your itinerary..

Last edited by mlgb; Feb 6th, 2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 10:38 AM

You could always stop and visit Acoma Pueblo instead, west of Albuquerque right off the interstate, also called "Sky City".
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 12:59 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jamie99
You could always stop and visit Acoma Pueblo instead, west of Albuquerque right off the interstate, also called "Sky City".
I agree, I think my favorite of the possibilities, in part because it's "alive" & still home to many. However, make sure there are tours if you consider going as that's the only way to see it.
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 05:59 AM

Both Acoma Pueblo and Monument Valley are currently closed due to COVID restrictions. Here is how to check their status:

https://navajonationparks.org/genera...ley-admission/

Pueblo of Acoma.