Search

Bridge Phobia.. need help with alternate routes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2021, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bridge Phobia.. need help with alternate routes

Hello

I have a paralyzing Bridge Phobia.. need help with alternatives for NJ to Pittsburgh, PA and NJ to Providence, RI. Your help is appreciated. Blessings
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 07:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Can you get out of NJ without going over a bridge or maybe under a river in the Lincoln or Holland Tunnel? Take a train. Wear a mask and a blindfold for the times you see a bridge coming. You could take a boat from the coast of NJ to get to Providence RI. You do drive across a bridge to get from CT into Rhode Island.
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 10:36 AM
J62

To get to RI from NJ you need to cross the Hudson River at some point. The two tunnels mentoned above are certainly options, but not really good ones as they dump you on to the city streets of Manhattan and you'd need to get off that island was well...

The first bridge across the Hudson that I'd rate as not really knowing you're on a bridge high above the water would be I-90 Berkshire spur which would add a large detour of about 100 extra miles.

To Pittsburgh, I78 through Allentown I'd say is similar, so depending on where in NJ you are starting it could be the most direct route anyway.

Old Mar 21st, 2021, 01:35 PM

My MIL had bridge phobia, but I found if we drove in the middle lane she was not bothered much as she could not see the edges of the bridge. If you are not the driver close your eyes five minutes or more before the bridge and do not open them until the driver tells you that the bridge is crossed.
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 03:20 AM

You would have to leave the state north of Paterson, probably on 17, drive through New York, then south again on 81 or 15