Alaska without a car?

Search

Alaska without a car?

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2021, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska without a car?

DH and I were hoping to visit Alaska for 8-days in late June to celebrate my birthday, but for reasons we’re finding there are no more rental cars! With no rental cars available our options are renting an RV/camping (we’re experienced) or do a train/group tour combo. With only 8-days we would focus on Kenai peninsula, and skipping Denali this trip. I would appreciate any thoughts on visiting Alaska without a car in general, and/or itinerary plus best campground locations for 8-days in an RV? My other thought would be to push our trip out to September when rental car & hotel options are much better, but not sure how enjoyable early Sept weather is? Thanks!
Old May 12th, 2021, 12:07 AM

If you can get train tickets and room reservations, I'd take the train to Seward and hang out there. There are several companies running boat trips for whale viewing inside the Bay, as well as and Kenail Fjords NP and the Alaska Sealife Center.
The big museum in Anchorage is open with limited hours if you wanted to spend a day there before or after the flight, be sure to check their schedule.

Check out alaska.org if you haven't been there.
Old May 12th, 2021, 09:06 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Without a car I'd agree that the train to and back from Seward would be about your only option, but frankly it's one I wouldn't take. Personally I'd go in early September with a car and include Denali for a couple of days - the fall colors can be spectacular even if the chance of clouds obscuring the mountain have increased (but not by much.) Plus the mosquitoes will have abated big time. You could also visit the Matanuska-Susitna valleys - maybe a drive up to Hatcher Pass and a stop at Mirror Lake on the way back to Anchorage, where the fall foliage can also be terrific. The Alaska State Fair, always enjoyable with its monster vegetables, is held around Labor Day in Palmer, and might make for an enjoyable day.

In Seward there will still be a lot of silver salmon around if fishing is of any interest, and again, despite a higher chance of wet days, the scenery in late summer/early fall can be excellent. I think the later trip would be more satisfying than an earlier one without the freedom of movement.

Last edited by Gardyloo; May 12th, 2021 at 09:09 AM.
Old May 12th, 2021, 12:46 PM

June is a good time for the whale and wildlife cruises out of Seward.

Another option might be to fly into Juneau and perhaps take one of the ferries (for example, up to Haines).

Last edited by mlgb; May 12th, 2021 at 01:23 PM.