Search

Itinerary suggestions: SW France>Bilbao/San Sebastian

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2022, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary suggestions: SW France>Bilbao/San Sebastian

Hi All,
Have traveled extensively through France, but now we are embarking on unknown territory. Wish to travel to SW France, then wander into Spain (San Sebastian, Bilbao, would the Asturias be charming or just rural??). From CDH would love to start in Burgundy, then perhaps get to Bordeaux its a long way from Burgundy and no direct trains). Then go through Biarritz and into Spain. Prefer small charming villages (not too rural) near larger cities. Would love a small group 4-5 day hiking trip anywhere along the way that would be fun.
We have a month (mid-May-midJune) and like to linger in villages, not so keen on touristy spots but interested in local art/music/people watching in cities.
It's mpossible to find travel agents that aren't giant consolidators, offering eurotrash hotel chains. We are entranced by the locally run B&Bs in France and Spain.
Any suggestions on where to start?
Old Jan 16th, 2022, 12:28 PM

Attached is my Pays Basque itinerary

Stu Dudley
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Pays Basque.doc (58.5 KB, 63 views)
Old Jan 16th, 2022, 12:41 PM

I spent a month traveling through that region. You might get some ideas from my trip report - Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
Old Jan 16th, 2022, 06:23 PM
mjs

Burgundy is a bit out of the way to SW France and northern Spain but you do have a month so I suppose you can make it work. I would otherwise take the TGV from Paris or CDG to Bordeaux. Spend two nights or more nights in Bordeaux to explore the city and surrounding areas. Rent a car and drive to the Dordogne. Sarlat is a good place to base yourself to explore the Dordogne.
San Sebastián is a 3 hour drive from Sarlat You can explore much of that area of the Basque from San Sebastián. You can continue on into the rest of northern Spain depending on your interests and time. Fly back to CDG from someplace like Bilbao