Search

Airport to Buenos Aires Hilton

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 03:33 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airport to Buenos Aires Hilton

I tagged this question onto another thread but that seems to have been a mistake. I need to know the safest way to get to my hotel. On the other thread there were warnings about taxis to avoid. Can anyone help? I'm a woman traveling alone so safety is a priority.

Thanks.
Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 06:56 PM

Unless it has been banned recently, Uber works great in BA. Safe, easy and cheap.
Old Nov 24th, 2023, 11:08 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Thank you LAX. I will do an uber estimate and compare it with the hotel shuttle.
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 03:15 PM

I've been told that now many Ubers do not want credit card customers. You may need to pay in ARS cash.

With today's devaluation of the peso to 800 from 400 per USD you might want to just use one of the remise services. But I think PM has already checked in to her hotel.

Old Dec 15th, 2023, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by mlgb
I've been told that now many Ubers do not want credit card customers. You may need to pay in ARS cash.

With today's devaluation of the peso to 800 from 400 per USD you might want to just use one of the remise services. But I think PM has already checked in to her hotel.
Your post is very confusing. Uber means the price is determined by Uber and and automatically billed to your credit card. If an Uber driver doesn't want credit cards, he shouldn't be on Uber.

If your Uber driver demands cash, it's very suspicious -- you could end up getting double charged (giving him cash and getting billed on your credit card by Uber). If an Uber driver demands cash, tell him to "f" off and report him to Uber for everyone else's sake. The whole point of Uber is that you don't have to deal with the nonsense of a regular taxi like cash and negotiating over the prices.
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
Your post is very confusing. Uber means the price is determined by Uber and and automatically billed to your credit card. If an Uber driver doesn't want credit cards, he shouldn't be on Uber.

If your Uber driver demands cash, it's very suspicious -- you could end up getting double charged (giving him cash and getting billed on your credit card by Uber). If an Uber driver demands cash, tell him to "f" off and report him to Uber for everyone else's sake. The whole point of Uber is that you don't have to deal with the nonsense of a regular taxi like cash and negotiating over the prices.
It may be confusing to you but you are not up to date about what's happening here now.

I have just seen window signs at upscale small shops such as Sasha saying that credit cards are not being accepted right now.

And btw there are other countries where Uber drivers want cash.

You still have a fixed price in ARS. As you do when using Cabify or calling a radio taxi service.

Last edited by mlgb; Dec 15th, 2023 at 01:37 PM.
Old Dec 16th, 2023, 02:58 PM

It may be confusing to you but you are not up to date about what's happening here now.

I have just seen window signs at upscale small shops such as Sasha saying that credit cards are not being accepted right now.

And btw there are other countries where Uber drivers want cash.

You still have a fixed price in ARS. As you do when using Cabify or calling a radio taxi service.
What may be happening in BA now is beside the point that it's against Uber's rules for drivers to demand cash and that they should be reported and that they risk being terminated by Uber for demanding cash. Of course it happens it various countries where Uber drivers demand cash. But that doesn't mean that it's not in violation of Uber's rules. It even happened to me in the good ole' US of A once, where an Uber driver demanded cash -- after we were in the car and already on the freeway. (I was surprised to experience that sort of third-world shenanigan in the US. I reported the driver to Uber, and a guy in Uber security personally called me and told me that they terminated the driver.)

When I said your post is confusing, I meant that you're reporting on things that you've heard but haven't personally experienced -- without any useful details or specificity that would assist readers in avoiding bad situations. You say Uber drivers "don't want" credit cards and that passengers "may need" to pay in cash. What exactly are you hearing that's happening? Do drivers pull up and warn the passengers before they begin the ride that they're taking cash, and give them the option to cancel? Are drivers saying nothing and then taking passengers to the destination and then saying "oops sorry, give me cash"? How widespread is this?

I would never get in the car with an Uber driver who tells me that I'll have to pay cash. That driver is already telling you he's a fraud who will blatantly violate Uber's rules. I wouldn't put my life in his hands.

Uber very different from a radio taxi service or ride sharing apps where there is an option to pay the driver in cash (or where the only way to pay is to pay the driver in cash). With Uber, cash payments are explicitly not allowed. The whole point of Uber is that you don't have deal with cash and you don't have to deal with potential disputes over cash.

Last edited by LAX_Esq; Dec 16th, 2023 at 03:02 PM.
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 09:58 PM

Taxi driver, remise driver, hotel reception. Posters on TripAdvisor, hosts at Delta Unplugged, private driver we paid with ARS to get to Tigre.

Sorry you are still confused. Who have you heard anything from in the last weeks or since the recent inauguration?

But PM and I both made our transfers and our ships passed each other in the Lemaire Channel yesterday.

PS there were a couple Australian passengers on this voyage. They were delayed due to a lost bag and when trying to arrange an airport transfer were told that the credit card readers were not operating due to solar flares. I have no idea if that was a fib because vendors are losing out on card transactions or if true. Luckily they travel with USD and were able to get from the airport into Buenos Aires paying cash. I suppose if your currency is devalued by half overnight (official rates) there are a variety of excuses. Admittedly their story is strictly hearsay and not admissible in the court of Fodor's.

I don't think anyone's point of experience from a year or even a month ago applies right now. And my experience may not apply in another month or week. The monetary situation is unstable and unpredictable.

Thanks for your concern, though.

​If I manage to use Uber on my final day in Buenos Aires I will report back. But that will just be an anecdote and I would recommend anyone else traveling through here to have one or more backup plans and payment methods.

The preferred note for a cambio is the $100 new, but the offices have limited hours.

Last edited by mlgb; Dec 18th, 2023 at 10:34 PM.
Old Dec 19th, 2023, 08:13 AM

Taxi driver, remise driver, hotel reception. Posters on TripAdvisor, hosts at Delta Unplugged, private driver we paid with ARS to get to Tigre.

Sorry you are still confused. Who have you heard anything from in the last weeks or since the recent inauguration?

But PM and I both made our transfers and our ships passed each other in the Lemaire Channel yesterday.

PS there were a couple Australian passengers on this voyage. They were delayed due to a lost bag and when trying to arrange an airport transfer were told that the credit card readers were not operating due to solar flares. I have no idea if that was a fib because vendors are losing out on card transactions or if true. Luckily they travel with USD and were able to get from the airport into Buenos Aires paying cash. I suppose if your currency is devalued by half overnight (official rates) there are a variety of excuses. Admittedly their story is strictly hearsay and not admissible in the court of Fodor's.

I don't think anyone's point of experience from a year or even a month ago applies right now. And my experience may not apply in another month or week. The monetary situation is unstable and unpredictable.

Thanks for your concern, though.

​If I manage to use Uber on my final day in Buenos Aires I will report back. But that will just be an anecdote and I would recommend anyone else traveling through here to have one or more backup plans and payment methods.

The preferred note for a cambio is the $100 new, but the offices have limited hours.
Your general info on the monetary situation in Argentina is certainly useful... but none of it changes the fact that it's still against Uber policy for an Uber driver to refuse to take credit card and demand the rider pay cash. If it's widespread that Uber drivers in Argentina are violating Uber's rules due and insisting on cash, then travelers certainly should be aware of that and should plan to get around using a different means.

An Uber rider who gives the driver cash risks getting charged twice -- by credit card and by cash -- and is also subjecting themselves to a driver who refuses to follow the rules. Restaurants, coffee shops, etc. in BsAs are allowed to refuse credit cards. Uber drivers are not.
Old Dec 28th, 2023, 09:59 PM

Uber in Argentina specifies Uber Cash in ARS as a payment option by User selection. Drivers may not accept the ride if you chose credit card.

I will be back in Buenos Aires tonight with a data point.

Side note eventually Amex reduced the charge for my inbound remise to "MEP" rate so as quoted about $30. With Mastercard it shows immediately.