Search

Alaska Bear Watching

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2024, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska Bear Watching

Hi All,
Wondering if anyone can comment on their recent stay at Brooks Lodge, Kulik Lodge &/or Lake Clark Lodge for bear watching in Katmai? Alot of moving parts here: bear availability, weather, timing. Appears last year the bear were unusually plentiful during mid-August, vs. the usual mid-July timing. As the outstanding scenery & bear are the main event, the other activities are clearly secondary.
We traveled to Glacier Bay, Denali, Fairbanks and Kenai in the late 90's with our children, had an amazing memorable trip so we are familiar with the weather volatility and the amazing environment. Always promised ourselves to go to Katmai.
Thank you for your advice!
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 11:39 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We went to Katmai and saw many bears including those catching salmon in a waterfall. We flew there from Homer, very pricey but worth every penny! There were bears on the beach near where we landed. We were given bear instructions by a Nat. Park Ranger.
This was a day trip so did not stay in a lodge. It was one of our best travel days ever!

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Apr 27th, 2024 at 11:41 AM.
Old May 11th, 2024, 11:31 AM

One advantage of staying overnight is that you could go on a tour of the Valley of Ten thousand Smokes which is near Brooks Camp. It's the sight of the 1912 Novarupta volcano eruption that is one of the world's largest in history. It's like being on the moon. very interesting. or, we did a day trip to Brooks Falls from Anchorage that was very fun. Bears were late last year, but we saw lots at the falls.
Old May 11th, 2024, 03:49 PM

Like HappyTrvlr, we did a day trip from Homer to Katmai on a float plane and saw many bears. We did not go to Brooks Falls (it was just before the peak season, very early July), but instead landed at Hallo Bay. It was beautiful, had plenty of bears, and best of all, almost no other people. It was really a fabulous day. I think, if I remember correctly, the name of the company was Emerald Air, run by a nice couple (husband was pilot, wife was wildlife guide). I know they also go to Brooks Falls--it's all a function of where the bears are when you are visiting. I second the sentiment that although expensive, it is very memorable experience worth the cost.