London logistics with luggage

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2024, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping for some advice please as to whether it would be feasible for us (family of four) arriving in London (Kings Cross Station) on the LNER from Edinburgh (not booked yet so can be any time) to travel to Hammersmith for a 230pm theatre show that runs 2h20m at the Eventim Apollo Theatre, and then on to Heathrow for an 840pm international flight? We would love to see the show as my daughter is currently rehearsing the same production at school for a performance after our trip and it will fill the last day of our trip nicely. However I'm concerned the timing is too tight and also can't figure out the logistics of getting from Kings Cross Station with luggage, to the theatre and then to Heathrow. I wonder if it would be feasible to travel by train to Hammersmith, leave our luggage there to go to the theatre and then back to the station to head to Heathrow. Is this crazy?
Old May 20th, 2024, 04:31 AM

I think it may be possible to see the first half of the show, but for myself, I would not because I don't like cutting things close. This is what I think would happen if you stay for the full, and I just got back from London a few days ago:

2:30-2:40 pm: show starts
5:50-6:00: curtain
6:00-6:10: trudge slowly out of theater with the audience
6:15-6:40: go to Hammersmith station and wait on Piccadilly platform; **check ahead for any disruptions/strikes, etc.
6:40-7:20: travel to Heathrow (**know which terminal you are departing from ahead of time)
7:20-7:40: exit tube station, walk to departures
7:40-?: security (my last wait in security was under 10 min out of Terminal 2 at noon, but it could easily be longer; carryon luggage only)
8:10: out of security; your Gate should already be announced and on the digital signage boards
8:10-8:25: walk to gate (some gates in T2 are a 15 min walk from the security area)
8:10: plane boards
8-?: At some point, they prevent further boarding
8:40: flight departure

So I think you could not do the full show. It may be hard to relax and enjoy it with that clock ticking in your head. Can you park half your family at a coffee shop/restaurant by the Hammersmith tube station with the luggage, and you and your daughter see the first half of show?

I actually enjoy spending a leisurely hour at Heathrow to grab a bite and do some last minute shopping. I'd be disappointed if I couldn't, and just had to dash for my gate, but you know your family best. I know it's hard to make some of these choices. But hopefully you'll get a theater fix for your family earlier in your trip. I saw Guys and Dolls at the Bridge Theatre, and it was fantastic. Good luck planning.

Last edited by ChgoGal; May 20th, 2024 at 04:33 AM.
Old May 20th, 2024, 04:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is Left Luggage at Kings Cross station but you'd need to allow time to wait in the queue to give them your bags and wait again on collection. Also you'd have to return to Kings Cross after the theatre so not a good use of time. There is a big Westfield shopping centre at Shepherds Bush, not far from Hammersmith, they may do Left Luggage. Personally, I wouldn't enjoy the theatre with one eye on the time.
Old May 20th, 2024, 09:17 AM

It is the usual recommendation to arrive at an airport three hours before an international flight, which would be 5:40 pm. I don't see how you can leave a play at about 5 pm, pick up your luggage from where it has been stowed, and be at Heathrow in 40 minutes. Heathrow can be very crowded.

Can you arrive in London a day early and see the play then?
Old May 20th, 2024, 10:57 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors.

Unfortunately what you want to do really isn't feasible.

Is the show at the Lyric Hammersmith? Or is it at another venue??

Now -- what you could do but it would a stretch . . . Fly EDI to LHR in the morning. Either check in the bags if they are being accepted at the time or if not, drop them at Left Luggage. Take the tube to Hammersmith Station which is essentially next door to the Lyric theatre - like a 1 minute walk.

You may need to leave before final curtain since plan on 40 minutes Hammersmith to LHR.
Old May 20th, 2024, 10:59 AM

Meant to add -- to make any of this work you would need to be doing it from the LHR end so taking a train isn't going to work. You'd have to fly down.
Old May 20th, 2024, 12:55 PM

OH -- meant to ask . . . which terminal at LHR?? If it is Terminal 5 - they have this thing called conformance. One MUST be through security 35 minutes prior to the scheduled gate closing (not merely in the security queue but through security). Even if it is totally doable to get to the gate, they will not let you through security even one minute inside conformance
Old May 20th, 2024, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your detailed response. The show ends at 450/5pm so that's an extra hour but there's no margin for error and probably not very relaxing thinking through the airport dash while at the theatre.
Old May 20th, 2024, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
OH -- meant to ask . . . which terminal at LHR?? If it is Terminal 5 - they have this thing called conformance. One MUST be through security 35 minutes prior to the scheduled gate closing (not merely in the security queue but through security). Even if it is totally doable to get to the gate, they will not let you through security even one minute inside conformance

Thank you - it's Terminal 3 but that's great to know.
Old May 20th, 2024, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KTtravel
It is the usual recommendation to arrive at an airport three hours before an international flight, which would be 5:40 pm. I don't see how you can leave a play at about 5 pm, pick up your luggage from where it has been stowed, and be at Heathrow in 40 minutes. Heathrow can be very crowded.

Can you arrive in London a day early and see the play then?

That would be my preference but have paid in full for the accommodation in Edinburgh and they have refused a refund. Yes three hours is recommended which we would struggle to meet.
Old May 21st, 2024, 04:24 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by pocky22
That would be my preference but have paid in full for the accommodation in Edinburgh and they have refused a refund. Yes three hours is recommended which we would struggle to meet.
Well, there's a simple solution for that. Leave Edinburgh a day early. Yes, you are leaving money behind but that's an easy trade off (IMO) to be able to make this work.

I've often booked a place for a week and taken off for an overnight trip during that week. In Italy, in France, in Hawaii, for a Key West overnight. Yes, you'll be paying "double" for one night of your trip but if it means that what you want to do can happen, do it!

I would not even try what you are suggesting in your OP. If I HAD to do it, I'd split the family of 4 into 2 groups. Group 1 deals with the luggage and takes it to the airport for check in. Group 2 = you and your daughter and seeing as much of the show as possible. Maybe Group 1 can store the luggage and do something nearby but leave in plenty of time to get to LHR to check in the luggage and then wait for your arrival.

But "the best" option (IMO) by far is to leave Edinburgh a night early and spend the night in London. Book a hotel near the venue and have the hotel store the luggage after checkout.

Adding - I just flew out of LHR Terminal 3 less than 24 hours ago.

Last edited by starrs; May 21st, 2024 at 04:29 AM.
Old May 21st, 2024, 04:56 AM

Oh, yes, I was off an hour! Sorry. That helps, but still I wouldn't recommend a full show. Hopefully, your theater-loving daughter will find something wonderful in Edinburgh, and she can forget about the musical. Travel days have to be less ambitious, which is a tough pill to swallow sometimes. I've learned to find pleasure in simple things on my departure day: enjoying a British meal, kicking around Heathrow and shopping for last-minute chocolates for my coworkers and family, etc. Have fun on your trip!
Old May 21st, 2024, 09:26 AM
mjs

How long is your stay in Edinburgh? If it’s on the short side I would just skip the London show and spend the extra day in Edinburgh. If your stay in Edinburgh is more than enough time to see and do all you want I would eat the last Edinburgh night and get to London a day early to see the show if it’s important enough for you.
Old May 21st, 2024, 09:49 AM

Curious about your other plans for this trip and if there might be any wiggle room to see the show prior to your final day?

Are you flying RT from London, which may mean you arrive in London before your time in Scotland?
Old May 22nd, 2024, 12:50 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Travel_Nerd
Curious about your other plans for this trip and if there might be any wiggle room to see the show prior to your final day?

Are you flying RT from London, which may mean you arrive in London before your time in Scotland?
We do have some time in London before going to Scotland but unfortunately the show only opens the night prior to our return trip home (ie, the day before we return from Edinburgh).
Old May 22nd, 2024, 12:54 AM
Original Poster

Agree this is by far the most sensible plan! Leaving behind $900 AUD would hurt though.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 02:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It depends, will you carry the hurt of losing the 900 bucks or the hurt of not going to the theatre longer. Only you can answer that question
Old May 22nd, 2024, 05:14 AM

If you have the time, Guys and Dolls at the Bridge Theatre is an excellent musical. Seated and standing (immersive) options. But I'd only stand if you're familiar with the music and story, otherwise it's a bit of sensory overload. Seated you can more easily take in those great lyrics and the dancing. If you do go, don't miss the intermission show!
Old May 22nd, 2024, 07:03 AM

I think ChgoGal's suggestion is a great. I haven' yet seen this production of Guys and Dolls (will do later this year) but from all reviews it is a fantastic show. Maybe see it during your earlier time in London and it will assuage some of the angst over not seeing the other

(now I see your show is at the Eventim Apollo Theatre - missed that detail in the OP. So is it Shrek the Musical? )
Old May 23rd, 2024, 03:18 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by pocky22
Agree this is by far the most sensible plan! Leaving behind $900 AUD would hurt though.
Are you paying $900 AUD for just one night?

If not, you're "losing" only one night of the lodging cost but can make the show.

If one night = $900 AUD, only you and your daughter can decide if part of the show is "worth it".

Good luck making the best decision that works for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -