I have read all the books and forums and have a dilemna. We will be in Argentina for 13 days in March. It is our first trip. We like to hike, my husband fly fishes and I do photography. We plan to stay in BA for 3 days, then fly to Bariloche, rent a car and stay somewhere around San Martin. We will drive around the area, visiting all the parks and hiking. My question is whether to take a few days to fly to El Calafate and take a bus to El Chalten. Is the hiking similar in El Chalten to the Bariloche area or is the scenery different? Is it worth all the extra travel time? We typically see a lot of a country in 2 weeks and I want to make sure we don't get bored in one place. At the same time, I want to make sure we see a variety of terrain since it is a long flight to Argentina and I don't know when or if we will be back. We have seen a lot of glaciers around the world (Alaska, Norway, Canada, China etc), so hiking glaciers is not a priority. Thank you for any advice you might have.
Bariloche area to El Chalten?
- 1 Backpacking South America 2014, Gringo + Backpack = Mochilero
- 2 Need Driver for Iguazu Falls & Foz da Iguacu
- 3 We will be in Rio during carnival. Advice needed please.
- 4 Route planning- 28 weeks and counting. 1 year South America
- 5 Machu Pichu accomodation
- 6 A spare day at Machu Pichu
- 7 Travel agency review: Untamed Path for Ecuador/Galapagos
- 8 Vaya Adventures
- 9 Buenos Aires and Beyond for a Beginner
- 10 2 weeks in Peru or 1 week in Peru and 1 in Chile
- 11 La Cabrera -- really good or tourist trap?
- 12 Help with Flight Delays & Planning????
- 13 First South American 2 month trip: Help review please !
- 14 Flights on LAN
- 15 Need help with Cusco itinerary
- 16 Eight Days on Horseback in the Avenue of the Volcanoes
- 17 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 18 More suggested reading
- 19 Family Trip to the Galapagos Islands
- 20 Back to South America
- 21 Peru Trip Report & Reviews (Lima, Sacred Valley, Manu, Cusco)
- 22 Has anyone heard of the tour company "escapes unlimited"?
- 23 which hotel in Cusco-- Second Home or Hotel Andenes al Cielo
- 24 Trip to Peru with my girlfriend (mid 20s)
- 25 Perito Moreno mini walk