A few years ago I visited Reserva Faunística Cuyabeno (see below) in Ecuador hoping to get a rich experience of the Amazon and see great wildlife and otherwise meet authentically indigenous people. Although I have nothing to compare it to, I actually had a great experience and saw much wildlife and stayed at a nice lodge, etc. The only drawback was that the indigenous community did not really care to talk with foreigners. I am guessing this is the rule rather than the exception in the non-commercialized Amazon, but I could be wrong (feel free to correct me if I am wrong).
Anyway, I chose Reserva Faunística Cuyabeno over Peru’s Iquitos for logistical reasons, basically convenience. Without going into any details but rather sticking to the basics here, did I miss out on anything ‘big’? In other words, whether I visit Reserva Faunística Cuyabeno, Iquitos’ surroundings or for that matter Yasuni National Park (also in Ecuador-see below), am I more or less supposed to get a comparable experience in terms of how rich the scenery is, how much wildlife I can see, how well I can interact with the indigenous communities, etc.? I guess I am just trying to figure out if Reserva Faunística Cuyabeno was a good choice for ‘experiencing’ the Amazon. I realize the Amazon is huge, but I want to know if my choice was a good one. Thanks.
Yasuni National Park (also located in Pastaza province): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasuni_National_Park
Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve
Brief overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyabeno_Wildlife_Reserve
Additional information: http://wikitravel.org/en/Cuyabeno_Wild_Life_Reserve
Ecuador’s Amazon vs Peru’s Amazon: Do You Have a Preference?
- 1 19 day Peru Itinerary, your thoughts?
- 2 Buenos Aires and Beyond for a Beginner
- 3 First South American 2 month trip: Help review please !
- 4 11-day trip to Easter Island and Santiago.
- 5 Crees organisation and foundation and Manu Learning Centre
- 6 Recommendations for Amazon tours
- 7 Recommendations for Galapagos islands tours
- 8 Route planning- 28 weeks and counting. 1 year South America
- 9 Backpacking South America 2014, Gringo + Backpack = Mochilero
- 10 A spare day at Machu Pichu
- 11 Machu Pichu accomodation
- 12 2 weeks in Peru or 1 week in Peru and 1 in Chile
- 13 Back to South America
- 14 We will be in Rio during carnival. Advice needed please.
- 15 Need Driver for Iguazu Falls & Foz da Iguacu
- 16 Travel agency review: Untamed Path for Ecuador/Galapagos
- 17 Vaya Adventures
- 18 La Cabrera -- really good or tourist trap?
- 19 Help with Flight Delays & Planning????
- 20 Flights on LAN
- 21 Need help with Cusco itinerary
- 22 Eight Days on Horseback in the Avenue of the Volcanoes
- 23 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 24 More suggested reading
- 25 Family Trip to the Galapagos Islands