My wife and I are looking to go to South America this year and a guided Machu Picchu trip through Gap is reaching the top spot on our list along with another short trip in another city/country or an Amazon Jungle trip as well for 2-4 days.
We are in our late 20's, want to have it be an adventure but not camping style. We like the classic/standard trips from Gap and Intrepid (not the basic but not the luxury either).
I can get a great deal on our next Gap trip (5% off plus a $500 voucher) plus we have free airfare to South America through award miles, so we are looking to score a solid trip on the cheap!
What I was thinking was doing the following short 8 day Gap trip that is basically Machu Picchu, Lima and Cuzco:
We are purposely avoiding the Inca Trail hike as I think it is a little out of my wife's league and interest (4 days hiking is way too much).
So with only 8 days, where could we tack on another 2-4 independently at the beginning or end from Lima (if not independently, maybe through another agent)? Alternatively, we could do this Gap trip which basically adds 2 more days onto the 8 day trip in the Amazon for a total of 10:
Yet another option is to replace the extra Amazon trip with Lake Titicaca and the Islands of Uros (also double the price for only 2 more days). That trip is here:
The downside is that with these 2 additional days through Gap, it nearly doubles the total price of the trip for only 2 more days! Is that worth it? Is there a better option like a side excursion outside of Lima on our own to something more unique and off the beaten path? We could even take a local flight to Bolivia, Ecuador or Chile for 3-4 days.
We are open to really anything. Should we try and get to Lake Titicaca? The Amazon? La Paz? Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated!
Macchu Picchu Trip Plus What Else?
- 1 Flights on LAN
- 2 Buenos Aires and Beyond for a Beginner
- 3 Eight Days on Horseback in the Avenue of the Volcanoes
- 4 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 5 La Cabrera -- really good or tourist trap?
- 6 More suggested reading
- 7 Route planning- 28 weeks and counting. 1 year South America
- 8 2 weeks in Peru or 1 week in Peru and 1 in Chile
- 9 Family Trip to the Galapagos Islands
- 10 Back to South America
- 11 Need help with Cusco itinerary
- 12 Peru Trip Report & Reviews (Lima, Sacred Valley, Manu, Cusco)
- 13 Has anyone heard of the tour company "escapes unlimited"?
- 14 First South American 2 month trip: Help review please !
- 15 which hotel in Cusco-- Second Home or Hotel Andenes al Cielo
- 16 Trip to Peru with my girlfriend (mid 20s)
- 17 Perito Moreno mini walk
- 18 Should we go to Iguazu Falls?
- 19 Crees organisation and foundation and Manu Learning Centre
- 20 2 weeks in Chile/easter island : first timers but not last timers...
- 21 Ritz Carlton Santiago
- 22 3 - 4 weeks in Brazil - help with trip itinerary
- 23 Peru Rail Trains to Machu Pichu
- 24 LAN South America airpass
- 25 Bogota footwear/cameras; Bolivar bugs