My boyfriend and I (early 30’s) are planning a 6 month+ road trip of the United States from Washington DC to Washington State and everything in between.
We will be driving through Texas after Louisiana and we’re hoping you guys could give us some advice, looking at the destinations we have so far.
We want to experience the true flavor of Texas from old to new. Our travel priorities are pretty wide.
We are somewhat foodies (though we hate the term) from fine dining to food trucks, want to be outdoor enthusiasts (new experience for us, get out of that car and hike) and are very much interested in historical attractions and art museums.
Here is what we have so far in a kind of order:
• Galveston (Gulf coast) - Anywhere else you recommend on the coast? Padre Island Nat seashore? Towns? We don’t like Spring Breaky towns but exceptions can be made if places have a ton of soul.
• Houston – Coming for the art scene.
• Dallas/Fort Worth – Cowboy history/JFK and what looks to be some great free small museums in the Amon Carter and Kimball
• Austin – Food & Music!
• San Antonio – Mex/Spanish history… more food!
• Hill country – Couple of days outdoors scenic driving stopping in small towns. We haven’t really figured this one out but it looks like a few towns are definitely worth a stop.
• Big Bend Nat Park
• Marfa/Fort Davis – Art and Stars.
• Guadalupe Nat Park – Will probably tackle this from the New Mexico side.
So what do you think? What am I missing? I haven’t added El Paso… yet.
Like I said we want to get a real taste but I guess we have to keep in mind that this is a USA trip and in the scheme of things (rest of the USA) if you think I can cut something I will but if it’s essential Texas… No Way!
Thanks a lot! Gemma
Advice on what not to miss in Texas
- 1 Bryce Canyon vs. Yellowsyone
- 2 Best place to raise a family in Florida
- 3 Northern Idaho - Western Montana Drive
- 4 East coast tour - Part1: NYC
- 5 Planning Road Trip Seattle to Denver and Back
- 6 Retiring in Colorado
- 7 WHERE TO STAY FOR PROPOSAL WEEKEND IN FREDRICKSBURG
- 8 Air Bnb Declared Illegal in NYC
- 9 Pick up north of Boston Logan
- 10 East coast tour - Part2: Phily, Washington, Niagara Falls
- 11 Newport, RI Questions
- 12 Question about Northeast Wisconsin along the lake
- 13 East coast tour - Part3: Florida
- 14 Savannah restaurants
- 15 State cracking down on vacation rentals?
- 16 Need a bit of help planning a 3 week trip to the US
- 17 Washington DC - Philadelphia - New York extravaganza
- 18 DC Itinerary, June 8-13, suggestions welcome!
- 19 Denver 1 day in denver
- 20 Boston and surrounding area
- 21 First-time to NYC Trip Report as promised!
- 22 Santa Fe at the end of May?
- 23 Yellowstone Hiking Suggestions for a 7 1/2 Year Old
- 24 Hawaii- Can't decide which islands to include
- 25 Honeymoon to Kauai and Maui from the East Coast