We are two 60-ish couples who will be taking an Alaskan cruise on Holland America in August 2013. We also want to do some land touring and are trying to decide whether to do a HAL CruiseTour or travel independently. Points of interest for us include Denali and Kenai Peninsula. We have traveled independently in Europe and generally avoid bus/group touring. However, we might choose the CruiseTour if: a) it is cheaper than renting a car or arranging for our own train travel and b) there is an opportunity to do some quality independent or small group sightseeing (ex. hiking, kayaking). There are some HAL CruiseTours that allow 3 days in Denali and would seem to allow for some independent activities (does the Tundra Wilderness Tour take us where we want to go in the park?). Is the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise worth doing? Another post has recommended Homer, which we would have to do independently. Should that be a priority? If we were going to travel independently, should we rent a car or can we get where we need to go by rail? Any advice you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks?
Cruisetour or Independent Land Travel
- 1 San Francisco,Monterey, Yosemite etc.!
- 2 East coast tour - Part1: NYC
- 3 Seatlle, WA
- 4 Best place for rafting: Moab, Taos or Durango?
- 5 Advice for 2 night intro trip to Moab in early June (1-3)
- 6 Kodachrome Basin State Park in Utah
- 7 Best place to raise a family in Florida
- 8 Question about Northeast Wisconsin along the lake
- 9 Boston, my 2 hour food shopping spree to satiate my man's needs
- 10 Bryce Canyon vs. Yellowsyone
- 11 Restaurant Recommendations in Salt Lake City Area
- 12 Newport, RI Questions
- 13 State cracking down on vacation rentals?
- 14 2 Brits Travelling USA July-Aug 2013
- 15 Need help with itinerary to Seattle, Oregon, California
- 16 Oregon Cave NM or extra day in Redwoods area?
- 17 time for a new countdown to Hawaii
- 18 Ackislander or others- restaurants in Nantucket in 2013
- 19 Santa Fe Home Exchange - Three Wks, from start to finish
- 20 Boston and surrounding area
- 21 DC Itinerary, June 8-13, suggestions welcome!
- 22 Rafting Snake River early June?
- 23 Staying at the Andaz in West Hollywood with kids.
- 24 Cedar Point Wait Times
- 25 Nashville Hot Fried Chicken