My wife and I are planning to fly from Manchester in the UK in early Spring 2013 to spend 2 weeks in the Deep South. We've travelled a lot around the USA, but this will be our first in the southern states apart from one night each in Atlanta, Charleston and Nashville. We're planning on flying into Austin, Texas, then driving to San Antonio. Then we'll either drive to somewhere on the coast (suggestions please) partway to Baton Rouge or Lafayette, or we'll take a short flight into Louisiana where we'd like to see New Orleans. So far so good. But we've never experienced Alabama, Mississippi or Arkansas so we're thinking of a drive through AL and MS, up to Memphis and across to Little Rock (or maybe there are better places in Arkansas). We fly home from Little Rock. Now, here's the rub. I'm finding it difficult to drum up much enthusiasm for Alabama, Mississippi or Arkansas. Can anyone come up with some good places to visit? We'd like to experience country, cajun and blues music. Also local food, shopping, maybe a historical site like a civil war museum, art galleries and one of the plantations.
Deep South Road Trip Feb/March 2013
- 1 WHERE TO STAY FOR PROPOSAL WEEKEND IN FREDRICKSBURG
- 2 Omni Hotel, San Francisco - Did I make a good choice
- 3 San Francisco - one semi-splurge restaurant?
- 4 Zion vs Bryce - How many days each?
- 5 Using public transit in San Diego
- 6 What to do with extra day in Virginia?
- 7 Williamsburg VA
- 8 Albuquerque to Denver
- 9 Finally, seeing the Outer Banks
- 10 A Visit to Charleston
- 11 Restos in Boca Raton
- 12 Rocks and Roads in Utah
- 13 Just saw the Book of Mormon in Chicago ! Can we talk about it
- 14 San Fran, Napa, Palo Alto, Carmel advice
- 15 Yosemite Falls Lodge in the park or Cedar Lodge w/ budget constraints
- 16 What to see/do from north Texas area to SD (Mt. Rushmore area)
- 17 Southern Utah and GC Trip Cont.- Itinerary Help
- 18 Memorial day weekend drivable getaway from Jersey City, NJ
- 19 NYC Newbie Needs Advice Re JFK Transportation
- 20 Boston, my 2 hour food shopping spree to satiate my man's needs
- 21 Question about Northeast Wisconsin along the lake
- 22 Seattle restaurant near Pikes Market
- 23 Help with NYC transit
- 24 How far ahead to book Alcatraz?
- 25 Boston Area College Tour