We are planning our vacation trip in September and would need advice from you fellow Fodors. Me and my wife will be travelling with a 2yr. old and my mother. We picked Great Smoky Mountain or Shenandoah because we like hiking and nature exploring, but we are open for other options for a relaxing family vacation.
Here are my questions:
1. Is Great Smoky too demanding for travelling with a baby and senior? We want to make sure we are not stressed out during the trip. If not, what kind of gear would you recommend us bringing?
2. Can we do only one park or both (Great Smoky vs. Shenandoah)? If one, which one should I pick?
3. It's a long drive from Ohio to TN (or NC for Shenandoah), what's the stopping places I should consider?
4. Is any section of the skyline drive that I should not miss?
5. Hotel recommendations around either park? Around skyline drive?
6. Fun activities for the whole family?
7. Our dates are flexible, we are considering the first week of September, any reason this is a bad idea?
Here is a draft itinerary, we will be driving from Ohio, and stopped at Cincinnati first, then continue to TN.
Day 1 - Arriving some place around Great Smoky (Ashville?)
Day 2 and 3 - Great Smoky
Day 4 - Skyline Drive Part 1
Day 5 - Skyline Drive Part 2
Day 6 - Shenandoah?
Day 7 - Shenandoah?
Day 8 - Driving Back to Ohio
Thank you for the help.
From Ohio to Great Smoky Mountain (or Shenandoah) with a baby and a senior
- 1 D.C. in a day
- 2 New Orleans trip (plus road trip) Help Pls!
- 3 time for a new countdown to Hawaii
- 4 Yellowstone Snow Melt, Roads and Trails - Timing
- 5 Washington DC - Philadelphia - New York extravaganza
- 6 A visit to Fallingwater and places nearby
- 7 Best places to stop New Orleans to Los Angeles
- 8 Using public transit in San Diego
- 9 Can Foodies Overcome the Flu in Honolulu? A March 2013 Oahu TR...
- 10 10 days after cruise - Fort Lauderdale Fly out from LA?????
- 11 What to do with extra day in Virginia?
- 12 1st time in Boston --need advice
- 13 Help finalizing August itinerary for Utah NPs (with a child)
- 14 Southern Utah and GC Trip Cont.- Itinerary Help
- 15 Seattle restaurants in Queen Anne neighborhood?
- 16 San Francisco - one semi-splurge restaurant?
- 17 Seattle Hotel Choice and Other Questions
- 18 First-time to NYC Trip Report as promised!
- 19 Luggage stolen from locked rental car in Orlando
- 20 Finally, seeing the Outer Banks
- 21 Need help with itinerary to Seattle, Oregon, California
- 22 San Fran, Napa, Palo Alto, Carmel advice
- 23 Rocks and Roads in Utah
- 24 2 Brits Travelling USA July-Aug 2013
- 25 Stay between San Francisco and Redwoods?