It looks like I would perhaps need to spend a day/night in Jacksonville as part of a trip to Saint Augustine. I know a lot of Florida is difficult for those without their own wheels. And I realize Jacksonville is particularly huge in geographical area and a car is highly recommended. However, since I don't drive, renting a car would not be an option.
SO, if you had to pick a hotel in one area of the city for a night, as it looks like I might need to, where would you choose? I'm certainly not expecting to "see it all" and am aware that likely many highlights of the region will be inaccessible to me as a result. I'm curious if there is an area of the city that you'd most recommend to someone without wheels, with better than most access to public transportation or an area with a modest density of places to eat within reasonable walking distance. A touch of history, access to some interesting sites, a touch of charm and a healthy, tasty, affordable restaurant would be a plus.
It looks from a map like much activity is clustered between areas labelled "Brooklyn", "Downtown" and "Everbank Field" at the point where the St. John's River does a serpent-like loop. I notice there's Skyway and a Riverside Trolley, so I thought this might be a good area to aim for?
Best wishes, Daniel
PS Have you found taxis reliable in the city? PPS If you were curious, my plan is to get to Saint Augustine via Greyhound.
If you HAD TO stay in Jacksonville, FL without a car for a day
- 1 San Francisco,Monterey, Yosemite etc.!
- 2 Bryce Canyon vs. Yellowsyone
- 3 Best place to raise a family in Florida
- 4 Northern Idaho - Western Montana Drive
- 5 East coast tour - Part1: NYC
- 6 Planning Road Trip Seattle to Denver and Back
- 7 Retiring in Colorado
- 8 WHERE TO STAY FOR PROPOSAL WEEKEND IN FREDRICKSBURG
- 9 Air Bnb Declared Illegal in NYC
- 10 Pick up north of Boston Logan
- 11 East coast tour - Part2: Phily, Washington, Niagara Falls
- 12 Newport, RI Questions
- 13 Question about Northeast Wisconsin along the lake
- 14 East coast tour - Part3: Florida
- 15 Savannah restaurants
- 16 State cracking down on vacation rentals?
- 17 Need a bit of help planning a 3 week trip to the US
- 18 Washington DC - Philadelphia - New York extravaganza
- 19 DC Itinerary, June 8-13, suggestions welcome!
- 20 Denver 1 day in denver
- 21 Boston and surrounding area
- 22 First-time to NYC Trip Report as promised!
- 23 Santa Fe at the end of May?
- 24 Yellowstone Hiking Suggestions for a 7 1/2 Year Old
- 25 Hawaii- Can't decide which islands to include