Flew in/out on AirTran from ATL. About $200/ticket. Being limited to 2 quarts of carry on stuff was a pain.
Flights uneventful. Cab to/from NOLA airport is a fixed $33 for 2 people. Cheaper than the shuttle.
Stayed at the Country Inn and Suites on Magazine St. About 12 min from Jackson Sq. $72/nite
Nice bkfst, decent bagles, eggs were OK, make your own waffles, fruit
Bourbon Street has degenerated into an over-amplified, very noisy melange of strip joints and Coney Island bars.
Visited the usual places, plus the Hermann-Grima House (http://www.hgghh.org/) where we learned why New Orleans is "Norlens". The foundry mark on the cistern reads E. E. Parker, N.Orleans, 1831"
The New Orleans Museum of Art was worth a ride out on the Canal St trolley. http://noma.org/
(The trolley is $1.25 ea way – exact change only. $5 for a day pass. $12 for 3 days)
Lunch at the café was very nice. Smoked salmon on country bread, cheese plate (choice of 3 kinds) with chutney, Cajun-spiced pecans, bread, 2 glasses wine - $44.
Lunches at Acme Oyster House - about $30 (http://www.acmeoyster.com/)and K Paul’s Louisian Kitchen - about $40 (http://www.chefpaul.com/kpaul). The oyster Po Boy at the Acme was better than the crab. The crab Po Boy at K Paul’s was very good. The chicken Marchand (boned thigh stuffed with diced breast) at KP’s was excellent. At lunch KP’s makes a pretense of being just a cheap joint – plastic plates, cups and cutlery – otherwise it is pleasant.
Dinners at: Muriel’s (http://www.muriels.com/), very nice; Brennan’s (http://www.brennansneworleans.com/), even nicer (not cheap); Mulate’s (http://www.mulates.com/) – we especially liked watching the folks dancing to the Zydeco band. (I especially liked the Boudin sausage.)
Ate too much, drank too much, enjoyed ourselves greatly.
Ira Visits New Orleans
- 1 Yellowstone Hiking Suggestions for a 7 1/2 Year Old
- 2 Santa Fe Home Exchange - Three Wks, from start to finish
- 3 Oregon Cave NM or extra day in Redwoods area?
- 4 Middlebury vt quickie
- 5 Air Bnb Declared Illegal in NYC
- 6 Honeymoon to Kauai and Maui from the East Coast
- 7 Savannah restaurants
- 8 Help with July 4th Marriott Houston trip
- 9 American Airlines reservation question
- 10 Hawaii- Can't decide which islands to include
- 11 Car trip from Seattle
- 12 Boston and surrounding area
- 13 Alaska Camping/Backpacking
- 14 Newport, RI Questions
- 15 Santa Fe at the end of May?
- 16 Arizona - Sedona, Grand Canyon, MV and Canyon DeChelley
- 17 Omni Hotel, San Francisco - Did I make a good choice
- 18 Albuquerque to Denver
- 19 2 Brits Travelling USA July-Aug 2013
- 20 Best place to raise a family in Florida
- 21 3 Week Roadtrip Starting in Nashville - Where to Go?!
- 22 time for a new countdown to Hawaii
- 23 Planning Road Trip Seattle to Denver and Back
- 24 NYC to FLA Road Trip..stopovers (I-81) in Virginia and Sea Islands?
- 25 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles